Results

Be prepared for an emotional chapter. Warning you now.

Mark's POV

"Mark. Mark." I look up at Dr. Wyatt. "You haven't said anything for ten minutes."

"Oh yeah."

"You called to schedule an emergency session. I want to help, but I need to know what you need help with."

"My wife she...her father is dying of Huntington's."

"So that means she has a 50% chance of having it herself." I nod my head. "Has she gotten tested?"

"No. But she has talked to her father about it, and... she's actually in New York right now speaking with her siblings. She only has two biological siblings who would share the dad's genes." I explain.

"And how does that make you feel?"

"I...I don't know how to feel."

"You have a part in this too, Mark."

"This is about my wife. She is the one going through this, and..."

"And if she does have the markers, you would be the one to take care of her. You would be solely responsible for her medical care, and...you have four children."

"I know what I have to lose! I know and..." I thread my fingers through my hair. "How am I supposed to feel about this? How am I..."

"What do you feel right now?"

"Scared." I answer.

"That's good. That's a normal reaction. Is she going to get tested?"

"Yes. Once she comes back from New York, she's going to have her and the kids mapped." I answer.

"And will you get mapped?"

"I don't have a family history of the disease."

"It could be seen as you showing support for her. Giving her the confidence that you are right there with her." Dr. Wyatt explains.

"I have spent all of my life with no family. I was always the stray dog the Shepherd's took in, and I am forever grateful for them in my life, but Gen is the first time I've ever had something that's mine. Together we've made such a wonderful life, and...is it because I found happiness that the world is wanting to take it way?"

"Your wife doesn't have Huntington's yet. She has not been tested." Dr. Wyatt reminds me.

"But when she is, and those results are read then...then our lives could change."

"Or they could stay the same. It's a 50% either way."

"I haven't had the best of luck. Shooting and then the plane crashes and now this. I...the odds are this is the one that will do me in."