Making Miracles Happen

Gen's POV

"I'm not feeling good about this, Torres." Bailey shares her concern. "Nothing like walking into a surgery where I'm not feeling good. You feeling god Grey and Benoist?"

"We practice it once. We're about to pull an all-nighter. Sure. Feeling great." Meredith responds as we all continue scrubbing.

"He's going to suffer more if we don't do anything, so I'm looking at it like that." I add.

"Everything's gonna be fine, you guys." Callie tries to get us to feel more confident about this plan. "We just have to be squirrels about this." We all look at her like she's insane.

"Couldn't have heard you correctly there." Jackson peeks his head into the bathroom.

"Yeah, I don't like being referred to as a rodent." I state.

"They are not rodents."

"They are roadkill, or people wouldn't look for them to eat." I add. "I am not a rodent."

"Oh, you know squirrels store nuts for the winter, right?" Callie tries to explain herself. "But they don't do it all at once. They do it one nut at a time. Everyone has their part to play, so everyone just needs to handle their own nut. We do that; we get all the nuts."

"Makes sense." Meredith says.

"Does it, though?" Mark and Bailey question.

"There are so many better analogies to use Torres." Mark comments.

"Like you have..."

"Teamwork makes the dream work." Mark blurts out. "Who the hell wants to be referred to as a squirrel when they're about to perform surgery?"

"I hate all of you." Callie points at us as we are dying with laughter.

"All right, if we're doing this, let's not waste any more time." Thorpe lectures us.

"Yeah, uh Thorpe, can you give us a minute?" Bailey asks. "I need to confer with my team." He looks annoyed. He walks away, and we all say nothing.

"Dr. Bailey, are we conferring?" Meredith asks.

"We're praying. Torres is right. We'll be fine if we each just do our part. Figure it doesn't hurt to ask God to do His." Bailey replies. I close my eyes and join Bailey in prayer.

"Callie, how long do we stand here doing this?" Meredith asks.

"I don't know. How should I know?" Callie asks.

"You pray and stuff. I mean, what's she looking for?"

"Some kind of sign or something." Callie responds.

"If I was, I sure wouldn't hear it over the two of you." Bailey snaps.

"All of you close your damn eyes and fucking pray for a good outcome!" I snap.

"Should you be curs..."

"Shit, damn, ass and other words are in the Bible, Avery. Shut your damn eyes and pray!" I order.

"I would do as she says. She does not like saying things a third time." Mark cautions everyone, and they quickly shut their eyes.

__________________________________
"Okay, Callie, we are good to go up here." Meredith says.

"All right. You all just sit back and watch the Ortho Goddesses work." Callie states.

"I just need to inspect the S.I. joint, make sure we're ready to amputate the left leg with the hemipelvis." I inform everyone. "Margins are adequate, and the stasis is achieved."