Getting Back Up

I hope you all enjoy this chapter. I have so many plans for this book and I can't wait to share them with you all.

I wish I could stay and wait for Arizona to show up with Bailey but we have more meetings about the settlement from the crash. Meetings that are now becoming nauseating talking about the crash over and over again. "At this point, it's about assessing these emotional damages. So we'll need to hear everything." Cristina comes into the meeting late.

"You must be Dr. Yang. Glad you could be here. have a seat." One of the lawyers greets Cristina.

"Dr. Hunt, I guess you won't be necessary as proxy anymore."

"Uh, I'm here more out of support for my staff." Owen explains.

"Yeah, I don't mind if he stays." Derek says turning to look at Owen.

"Today, uh we...we'd like to get some statements about, uh continued physical but...but also mental or emotional difficulties you might have suffered since the crash."

"What if we don't have any?" Cristina asks.

"Well, um, why don't we talk? We'll see what comes up." The guy states with a smile on his face. "Almost anything can be helpful to monetize your injuries."

"How do we do that?" Meredith asks.

"We use a formula." The female lawyer speaks up. "It's uh...your medical bills plus pain and suffering equal to three times your medical bills plus flat-rate hard-tissue injuries, plus loss of income, plus lost of earning capacity, plus any other foreseeable harms, for each of you. So we're talking about a sizeable award." She finishes explaining to us.

"Far more substantial than the settlement they offered you." The analyst guy adds.

"Where's all the money come from?" Derek asks.

"Well, we're looking at the possibilities now. uh, the charter company, uh, aircraft manufacturer, parts manufactures, the pilot, of course. The ground crew at sea-tac, um..."

"Jerry?" I interrupt. "Did you say, Jerry?" I ask for clarification.

"Who's Jerry?" The female lawyer asks.

"He was up there with us." Meredith adds

"He broke his back. He's paralyzed now." Cristina states.

"You're gonna go after him?" I ask again not sure where they are going with this.

"Well, if we find he was negligent, shouldn't we?" Callie asks and I have an unsettling feeling about this. Mark squeezes my hand trying to keep me calm.

"You know I'm sorry. I can't help." Cristina stands up. "Uh, I've got no residual injuries, and I've gotta go run someone's service for them, so, you know, good luck." She gets up and leaves without another word.

"Folks listen, you have a special bond." The female lawyer woman gets us back on track. "You've been through something horrible and survived it together. But as far as the pilot is concerned, you need to stop thinking of him as one of you and start thinking of him as one of them."

"And as wonderful as that statement is. Going after someone who is paralyzed for the rest of his life. I'm sorry go after whoever else you want but leave the poor man alone." I state not needing to hear this shit any longer.

__________________________________
After a long explaining of our traumas, we are brought back in for one last meeting of the day. "Thank you all for your cooperation today. Next step is for us to file a complaint against the parties."