Taking Sides

Thank you for always supporting me and enjoy this next chapter.

Gen's POV

"You're moving to New York." I repeat, and Callie still hasn't said anything.

"That was the thing I was going to talk to you about after the party

"That was the thing I was going to talk to you about after the party." Callie explains. She lets out a big sigh. "I know it seems rash, but...this is my choice, and it makes me happy."

"Penny will only gone for a year. Do you really need to move across the country?" I ask her.

"I thought you would be happy for me."

"I...Callie, this is all too familiar for me."

"For you?" She's getting upset now. "This is not about you, Gen. This is about my life and my decision to move with the woman I love to New York."

"George. Arizona."

"Why are you saying their names?" She snaps at me.

"When George's dad died, he was so distraught that you quickly got married thinking that is what would make him happy. You dropped everything and became his wife."

"Because I loved him." She argues.

"Arizona, when she won the grant and was going to Africa, you followed her too despite you not wanting to go."

"I don't see your point."

"Callie, none of those decisions were because you wanted to do something. They were all because the person you loved wanted something. I want to support this, but...it doesn't feel like you."

"This is me. And I'm not asking for your permission..."

"And I'm not saying you need it, but...Callie, This is the third time and...I don't want you regretting this decision."

"I love Penny, and you've grown to like her. What is your..."

"You've been dating her barely over a year, and..."

"So?"

"Callie, why are you so defensive?"

"Because I'm tired of no one being happy for me. This is what I want."

"It's a year research fellowship, Callie. You're uprooting your life for a year away when there are other options."

"I love Penny. I want Penny."

"Did Penny ask you to move with her?"

"No! I am the one who wants to move. This is a new start for me. You got your new start."

"My husband lost his memories, Callie, and we needed space from everything around us. That's not a start. I was running. You don't need to run."

"I thought you, of all people, would be happy for me. Supportive of me and..." Callie let's out a sigh. "Arizona, she hired a lawyer, and...she's fighting for custody of Sofia."