Singing Sturgeon

I loved this chapter and I hope you all love reading it.

Gen's POV

"I mean, people do it, right? it's not conventional, it's not easy, but people do it

"I mean, people do it, right? it's not conventional, it's not easy, but people do it." Meredith spills everything that is happening with her and Derek to Alex and me. "I mean, if we can map brains, we can figure this out."

"Are you trying to convince me or you?" Alex asks her.

"I mean, I don't want to split up our family, either. But I certainly don't want to go and then resent him for the rest of my life. And that's what would happen." Meredith tells us. "And he doesn't want that, either, so I...Gen, what do you think?" Meredith asks, but I don't answer. "Gen." She calls my name again.

"Sorry. What were you saying?" I ask her.

"Dude. Were you not listening at all?" Alex asks me.

"I..." I stop as Derek walks into Joe's with a neutral expression on his face.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" Meredith asks him.

"I just got off the phone with the White House. I resigned from the brain mapping initiative." Derek blurts out.

"What?"

"I'm not moving to D.C.," Derek says to Meredith, who is still in shock. "Why would you do that?"

"Well, I don't want to live anywhere else when my kids are growing up here. I don't want to be apart from them or you." Derek answers. "No job is worth that to me. I want to be with you and the kids here."

"No." Meredith says without hesitation.

"What?"

"This is not what we discussed. I mean, you should call them back and tell them you were kidding." Meredith orders him.

"I got to pee." Alex excuses himself, but I stay exactly where I am.

"I did not ask you to do this. I never wanted you..."

"I know you didn't. I chose." Derek assures her. "I chose you...and the kids."

"I need a drink." Meredith gets up and leaves. Leaving only me and Derek at the table.

"Gen..." I hold my hand up, silencing him. "If you need someone to talk to or..."

"What I need? When have you ever cared about what I need?" I snap.

"Gen..."

"No!" I shout, pointing at him. "You go around with this God complex, and you try and make everyone around you small. But let me tell you, Dr. Shepherd when someone we love is brought in to the hospital. No matter how small the injury, you page them right away. Not when you're finished with surgery. Right away. That is my father you operated on and..."