We Have One Life

I hope you all enjoy this update and let me know in the comments if you caught the surprise I shared in the last chapter after reading this one.

Mark's POV

"We're gonna open him up out here?" Wilson asks as we brainstorm how to get Keith into surgery.

"It's the only way. We start an ex-lap." Meredith says.

"Clamp everything we can. It'll buy us time till we get him upstairs." Owen states.

"Only five or six minutes till he bleeds out." Maggie reminds us.

"It's plenty of time." I state. "If we're going to do something, we need to have hope it will work, or it's pointless." I say to everyone.

"Guys, guys, all O.R. are full." Ben reminds us.

"All of them?"

"Tunnel collapse victims."

"Wait." I shout as I look at the tablet. "There's a plastics O.R. available."

"That's at the other end of the building." Meredith says to me.

"That's impossible."

"Hey!" I make them all look at me. "There is nothing impossible if we don't try. I should have lost a lot more than just 15 years of memory in my accident! I should have lost a whole lot more, but I'm here! So let's give him a chance and not bitch about why it won't happen. He's going to die if we do nothing, so let's fight to do something."

"I'm with Sloan." Jackson stands next to me.

"Hell yes, he is. Plastics Posse." I ignore the looks everyone gives me. "We clear a path to the east elevator. Move everything out of the way, stop all foot traffic, lock down the elevator." I explain.

"Can he make it that far?" Maggie asks.

"No, but he will." Jackson answers. "He doesn't have a choice right now. Just like Mark said. He's going to die if we do nothing."

"So we run." April says.

"All out. Like Olympians." Maggie agrees.

"It's plenty of time. It's plenty of time." Meredith repeats.

"Let's prep him for an ex-lap out here."

"Go, team kickass!" I state. They all give me horrible looks. "Too far?"

"Too far." Jackson pats my shoulder.

"I still got it. I'm still...still a plastics God.

"Interns gather around!" I shout, getting their attention. "Doctors Hunt and Kepner start Keith's surgery outside in the car." I brief them. "Doctor's Grey and Pierce are standing by in the O.R. waiting to finish that surgery. You need to help get Keith from the car to the O.R." I start to move, and they follow. "We estimate we have less than three minutes to get him from car to O.R. any more than that he dies. If any of you fail me, then he dies. This has to be perfect, and by looking at some of you, I know perfection is not something you can achieve, but today you will. We have one chance. There are no do-overs." I stop and look at them. "His life and death depend on how you handle the next few minutes. Do not mess this up, or I will hunt all of you down and make you wish you had just become accountants." The female intern raises her hand. "There are no questions. Follow me." I order, and they run after me. "You." I point to the tall dorky blond guy. "Keep these doors open." He does as I say. "You." I point to another guy. "You stay on this corner here. Alright, what's your name?" I ask the next guy.

"Uh, DeLuca." He answers.

"All right, DeLuca, right here." I point to another station, and I lead the female intern with me to the elevators. "What's your name?"