Coming Up With a Solution

I loved writing this chapter. Enjoy.

Derek's POV

I've never felt this alone in my life

I've never felt this alone in my life. It feels like every day; I am messing up at work and at home. My sister isn't talking to me, and neither is my wife. Everyone close to me is seeing me as a pariah, and maybe that's what I am. I down another drink, but I stop grabbing for the bottle when a knock is heard at my front door. "Amy are...Gen."

"Can I come in?" Gen asks.

"Of course." I move out of the way, allowing her to come into the house. "Meredith isn't here. If that's who you're looking for." I tell her.

"I know that. I just left Mer at Alex's." She tells me. "I am actually here to talk to you."

"Me?" She nods her head. "Oh. Uh, would you like something to eat or drink?" I offer.

"No, thank you." Gen paces around, not saying anything. She keeps pacing for what feels like forever.

"I had this blinding rage towards you. So much that I took up boxing classes, so I could just imagine it was your face I was hitting over and over again." She explains to me.

"Is this your way of telling me you're here to punch me, or..."

"I was so angry at you for...for knowing about my dad before me. I was angry that...that he confided to you and...I was angry but all for the wrong reasons." She explains herself. "I was angry because I could have lost my dad, and for the first time, I feared not having him in my life."

"I wanted him to tell you. He was insistent on keeping it a secret. He didn't want to ruin anyone's lives more than he already did." I explain to her. "I...I wanted him to tell you."

"I understand why you couldn't. Anger is a nasty thing. I...I don't like what it does to me." She lets out a big sigh. "It's not just my dad who has it. My sister Maddie, she's been living with it for five years. She...she knows her fate. I mapped Mark, me, and the kids." She stops, and I fear the worse.

"How bad?" I ask. She looks at me with tears in her eyes.

"Theo has the gene for Huntington's." She says calmly, but I can see how much she just wants to break down. "I... he's not even genetically mine, and he's...he has this fate."

"I am so..."

"I don't want your pity." She snaps.

"Gen, I am not pitting you. I am just showing my compassion. I love Theo.

"I know you do. I know you love him just as you love your own kids. Which is why I need to ask for your help."

"I'll do anything. You name it. If you and Mark need me there, I will drop everything." I say in a hurry.

"I want you to help me develop a cure for Huntington's." She blurts out.

"A..."

"Gerard has already funded and has come very close to a cure for Parkinson's. I want to take the basis of that research and develop it to cure Huntington's."