Hoping For Better Days

Warning you again this will be another emotional chapter.

3rd Person POV

You know that feeling you get when you know everything is falling into place? That feeling like when the world was crashing around you, but then you find the strength to make it through the mess. That feeling is what allows us to wish for better days. To fight for better days. Gen runs and makes it to the room. She stops and sees Mark sitting up in his bed. He makes eye contact with her and smiles. She runs until she is curled up next to him in bed. "You scared me. I...I thought I lost you." She cries into his hospital gown.

"I would never leave you." Mark tells her. He kisses the top of her head and makes her look at him. "I love you. I never want to spend another day apart."

"Never again." Gen leans up and kisses him. She hugs her husband tightly, afraid of letting go. "Mark, there is...there is something you need to know..." She looks over her shoulder and sees Derek's body still connected to all the tubes and machines.

"He's gone." Mark says.

"How..."

"I've seen this before. I..." Mark looks over at his brother wishing he could hold his hand. Tell him a joke. Tease his hair. All of the things he wishes he could do one more time. Hear his brother's laugh. Things he'll never hear again. "My brother is gone. A piece of me is gone."

"They did everything they could for him, but it wasn't enough." Gen tells him.

"How's Grey holding up?"

"She threw up outside."

"She needs us." Gen nods her head. "We will be there for her. I will be there for the kids, and...I'll cut back my hours and..."

"You don't have to do that." Gen tells him.

"Those kids deserve a father figure and...I know if the same thing happened to me, then Derek would have stepped up for our kids and you. He would be there every step of the way." Mark explains.

"I love you, Mark Sloan."

"I love me too."

"Shut up." Gen hits his chest, and the room is filled with their laughter.

"Come here." Mark pulls her closer, and she lays her head on his chest. Hearing his heart which allows her to go to sleep.

__________________________________Present Gen's POV

Present Gen's POV

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I hear that repeating over and over in my head. I stare back at Mark, shocked and hurt. "Are you my doctor or...did we go on a date or something? Because you are very beautiful..."

"You don't know who I am?" I ask him.

"No. Should I?"

"I'm your wife, Mark." His eyes widen, and then he whistles.