May 9th, 9:30 PM

Warning: This chapter includes sensitive topics like depression, thoughts of suicide, and Cas and Dean being the most adorable couple in the entire world that you will squeal and fall out of your chair.

Also,the song that Cas sings towards the end is "Grow Old With Me" by Tom Odell, and I strongly strongly strongly recommend listening to it while reading that scene cause it makes the experience 10000 times better. I've linked it to this chapter if you want to listen to it :)

Cas frowned at the GPS, turning his head and squinting at the device. It was a habit he had apparently been doing ever since he was a little kid, and a lot of people seemed to find it weird or uncomfortable; Dean however, loved it. He thought it was “adorable”.

“Are you sure we’re going the right way Dean?”

Dean nodded, drumming his fingers against the steering wheel as he hummed some classic rock song to himself. 

“Yup. I lived in Lawrence until I was 16, Cas. I know where we’re going.”

Cas hummed in agreement, returning to sipping his water and looking out at the long open road in front of them. They were only about 10 miles from their exit, and although he knew that Dean was good with this whole driving thing, Cas had had bad experiences with Google Maps and didn't really trust the program. 

When Dean had convinced him to “run away”, it wasn't really running away as in the YA novels where they pack with only backpacks and agree to meet at the specific ungodly time of the night and run away into the distance hand in hand while slow cheesy love songs play in the background. They told their family members that they were taking a couple days off to get their mind off things, and had packed together and drove off together in the evening the next day. Shiba was left with Anna, and the redhead and the cat had grown quite fond of each other anyway, so Shiba moved into Anna’ hospital room and they kept each other company. 

They didn't really realize until they had started driving that they had nowhere to go, and Cas had suggested going to Dean’s hometown, which was a long 1500 miles away, but at least that way they weren't just wondering around some random unknown city. Besides, a road trip with Dean wasn't bad at all. 

“Wait Dean,” Cas inquired as the thought came to him, “why did you move anyway?”

Dean hesitated, and the car turned quiet as Cas was struck by the realization that he had probably asked the wrong question. Minutes passed, and he eventually resumed to looking out the window, forgetting about it. 

If Dean doesn't want to tell me, I don’t want to know.

Still, the curiosity burned away inside him, and Cas suspected that Dean could see it on his face because the Winchester eventually spoke, heaviness in his words, “After the…incident, we moved a few miles away from our old house, and we never went in that direction ever again.Mom didn't have any family in town, but when I was 16 Dad ran into her old friends and he just kind of,” he frowned, looking for the right words, “lost it. We moved here the next week.”

Cas nodded, at loss for what to say. Maybe going to Lawrence really wasn't the best idea, it would probably end up in Dean remembering things he wanted to forget, and hadn't the Winchester once told him that he disliked digging in the past?