January 21st, 9:42:31 PM

Dean didn't know what to do, so he just stood there. Like a complete idiot. Here was a guy that he had just met 2 days ago literally throwing himself in front of possible major head injury that would hurt like a bitch for him. Sam looked up slowly and his eyes widened when he saw the sight.

John Winchester was rendered speechless, something his sons had always subconsciously assumed would never happen. He was completely frozen, staring in shock at Cas, with the bat over his head like he was getting ready to hit a home run. Dean’s dad let out a surprised gasp and he dropped the bat, his fingers opening letting it slide out of his hands and onto the floor with a dull thump. 

No one spoke. 

  Dean felt Cas relax when he realized the blow he was waiting for wasn't coming. He slowly opened his eyes that were squeezed tight in fear before, tentatively looking into John Winchester’s wide eyes. His back still pressed up against Dean’s chest, Cas slowly dropped his shaking hands to his side instead of keeping them splayed like a starfish like before. His breathing was shaking as well, heavy and deep. 

Dean’s father spoke in a coarse whisper, his voice cracking. “What?!”

Cas looked down at his hands that were clenched into fists with a straight face that won him a hell of lot of poker games. He looked up, a bit more confident, as if his hands had magical powers like a damn angel or something. 

“I won’t let you hurt Dean.” Cas told John with gritted teeth, his deep voice sounding dark and menacing. 

Dean was shocked. No, that was an understatement. There was no word in the English dictionary, or any dictionary for that matter, that could describe the amount of goddamn surprise he was feeling. This little bookworm that Dean was proud to call his friend was standing up to his dad for him. Sure, the whole throwing himself in front of Dean was incredibly impressive, but the Winchester had kinda sorta dismissed it as a automatic reflex or something. Maybe Cas just saw the bat over John’s head and didn't know what to do so he regrettably, accidentally, somehow, without giving it any thought, threw himself in front of Dean. 

But this!

But actually looking at someone Cas knew was violent and dangerous and telling them that he wouldn't let him do something was just so…..

Dean didn't know what to call it. Selfless? Brave? Pretty freaking amazing?! Nothing would do justice. 

And that also proved that Cas had done it on purpose, with full intent. He had put himself between harm and Dean not on accident or whatever, but because he had thought it out and done it because he wanted to. 

Dean glanced over at his little brother hunched over the money on his bed. Sam’s eyes were wet and it was obvious he had been crying through the whole ordeal. Dean wanted to punch a wall to let his anger out; Sammy was just a kid. He didn't deserve this, he didn't deserve any of this. And the worst part was that Dean knew that Sam blamed himself for everything. He knew what Sam was thinking. It’s all my fault that I want to go to Harvard. If I just dropped out, none of this would happen. 

Dean felt sorry that Sammy had to go through this all the time, but this time it was the worse. His little brother’s crying face looked so young, so heartbroken, that it hurt Dean’s already wounded heart even more. 

Someone finally said something after what seemed like hours of silence. It was John, with rage and murder in his brown eyes. He had the same expression he had on his face when he was about to give Dean a good beating. 

“How dare you talk to —“

“Dad!” 

Everyone in the room turned to Sam. John looked confused for a moment, as if he had forgotten his youngest son was there.  Dean panicked when he realized what his brother was about to do; raising the kid kind of meant that Dean knew exactly what Sam was going to do before he said it. Sam’s eyes flitted around nervously, hesitating, and Dean glared at Sam and shook his head urgently trying to communicate.