January 27th, 6:56:29 PM

The faint sound of lightsabers came from the television. The fan on the ceiling twirled, making a faint absent swishing noise. The oldest Winchester heard Sam in his room cough and made a note to himself to one day get an apartment with thicker walls.

Sam was told he was going to get the results of his scholarship interview in email today at 7 sharp, so Cas had come over as soon as his classes had ended at 4:00 for moral support. He was the one who had gotten Sam the interview, and the Winchesters greatly enjoyed his company, so no one complained. 

The future lawyer was in his room, probably refreshing his email over and over again in anxiety; Cas had been studying especially hard for a Biology test that he had just taken today, so he was tired and was asleep, his head slumping on his soulmate’s shoulder. The poor guy had been fretting over it every waking moment, and since it was Friday and he had just taken it, he deserved a break. All was quite, and Dean stared at the screen at Princess Leah in her slave costume on the small screen, his heart pounding wildly in anticipation. 

What if Sam doesn’t get the scholarship?

How will he go to college then?

When Dean had voiced those concerns to Cas, the Milton had told him that they would cross that bridge when they got to it, and besides, he had added, there was only one person up against Sam for the scholarship, so if Sam was as good as his grades and awards suggested, he’d be fine. 

Dean still worried like hell. He knew that if his little brother didn't make it, they wouldn't have time to make even a fraction of the money needed. This was literally their last hope, and if it was gone…he didn't know what they would do. 

The Winchester made himself paranoid by sitting there with his thumbs up his ass, and was just about to get up and join his brother in constantly refreshing his email when Sam came out of his room carrying a fake microphone that he had used when he had his magician phase at 10. His face was completely blank, devoid of any emotion. Dean’s heart dropped into his stomach.

Sam dropped his emotionless brown eyes to look at Dean’s terrified green ones.

Shit

Shit on a stick

Damn it

We’re so fu-

Sam dramatically raised the microphone to his mouth and his face erupted into a huge grin.

“GUESS WHO JUST GOT A FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP TO BRIGGS UNIVERSITY BITCHESSSSSSS!!!”

The youngest Winchester dropped the microphone and raised his arms above his head like people did on TV when they made a good point or some shit, and Cas jerked awake, snorting as Sam laughed, throwing his head back.The Milton sighed, extremely tired and not really realizing what was happening, and just rested his head back on Dean’s shoulder and closed his eyes. 

The older Winchester’s reaction was very delayed, because he was still processing the information, not quite believing what this really meant.

Sammy’s going to college and we didn't pay shit

Sammy’s goiNG TO COLLEGE AND WE DIDN’T PAY SHIT

Dean screamed. Loud. So loud that he knew that his voice was going to hurt later on, but he couldn't find it in himself to care. 

He shot up from the couch, forgetting that he had a tired 19 year old med student resting on his shoulder. Dean saw Cas out of the corner of his eye jerk up again and look around, confused and still trying to figure out what was happening as he watched the Winchesters whoop and hug tightly. Dean was feeling absolutely on top of the world, pretty damn ecstatic. He felt as if all the happiness in the world had been shoved inside of him, and he looked his little brother in the eye, with tears clouding his vision, “I’m proud of you, Sammy. I’m proud of us.”