January 24th, 9:25:08 PM

Dean quickly pulled back, blinking rapidly, feeling surprised at what he had just done. Cas started breathing hard, his shoulders heaving. He looked down at his shoes, and started furiously rubbing at a spot on his coat.

Dean started stammering out rapid fire apologies.

“Shit.”

“Damnit man.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“I just-“

His frantic explanations were cut short by Cas waving his hand dismissively and looking up, eyebrows furrowed. Dean glanced downwards for a second and noticed that his friend’s hand was trembling. 

“Dean,” he said, his voice coarse, “you’re only supposed to apologize if it was a mistake.”

Holy shit 

Is he saying what I think he’s saying?

“Was it a mistake?”

Dean inhaled a long shocked breath, not knowing what to say, or do, or think.

Of course it was a mistake, Cas is my friend, not my…soulmate, not my…lover.

He shuddered at the word, lover. It was a foreign word to him. To Dean, the only person he really had ever considered loving was Sam, because he was family and had been taking care of the little squirt ever since he was 6 months old. Daring to care for someone outside of family, now that was pretty dangerous. 

The closet he had ever gotten to doing that was Bobby. Bobby was not just a old man who worked with him, he was like the father he had never really had. He had took Dean under his wing ever since the Winchester had stepped into that rackety old garage, young and terrified out of his mind. 

But of course, that was Bobby, a 60 something year old man who was tough as nails and didn't need reciprocated words or actions every once in a while, he just cared for Dean and that was it.

But Cas, oh Cas was different wasn't he? He needed so much more, favors and kindness and love and things that Dean didn't know how to give. 

That is, if he decided to be more than friends.

Glancing up at Cas through his lashes, Dean was completely blown away by him. Not his looks, no, although Cas was quite the looker, but rather by his soul. It was something that you could feel, being around him. Cas had a beautiful soul, and Dean knew no matter how old his friend grew when time passed, his soul wouldn't age with him. It was evergreen. Cas’s soul was the type that not everyone could see because he acted so ordinary at first. An ordinary 19 year old med student. But no, he was the type of person to jump in front of someone so he would get hit by a baseball bat and not them, the type of person to love too much but judge too much at the same time.  He was astonishing.

“Dean?”

The Winchester jumped, his thoughts scattering everywhere. “Wha?”

“Was it a mistake?”

It wasn’t. It really wasn’t. Dean realized that he had subconsciously wanted Cas the second he had met him. That’s what soul mates were, right? To look at someone and want them in an instant, even if it was in your mind and you didn't even realize it, to just know that they were going to be the person you were going to spend the rest of your life with. And yeah, everyone had their own faults, Cas kind of had a stick up his ass and was extremely uptight all the time, and he wore that ridiculous looking trench coat for no reason other than “I really like the color Dean”, but Dean accepted them for what they were. Soul mates were supposed to make you feel complete, and that’s what Cas did. Complete Dean and make him whole in a way that he never really thought possible.