December 3rd, 2:22:59 PM

"Relax, Cas," eased Dean from the driver's seat of his beloved Impala, taking a minute to look over at his soulmate, who was finicking next to him,"it'll be fine. The court case doesn't start until 3, and we'll be there in 10 minutes."

"Stop playing with your tie, Cassy," said Jess from the backseat, "it's already messed up."

Cas frantically smoothed down his tie, desperately looking for any deficiencies. "What's wrong with it?" His voice shook slightly.

He felt a firm pat on his shoulder, presumedly Eric, who was squeezed in between Sam and Anna in the backseat. Cas wondered, for a moment, how the four of them back there could even breath. "We never told you this, buddy, but, it's always backwards."

"What?!"

Anna snorted. "Your tie is literally always backwards whenever you wear one. And you wear one a LOT."

Cas frowned, squinting his eyes at his black tie, and smoothed it down once more, fingers shaking. The patch at the end stuck out to him for the first time. "Why didn't you guys ever tell me before?"

"We all talked about telling you," Sam added, "if that means anything."

Dean laughed. "I always thought it was kind of cute-"

"Does anyone have a joint?"

The reaction was immediate and apparent, and exactly what Cas had feared. Anna, Jess, and Sam all yelled out at the same time, and Dean almost swerved off the road.

"Are you serious?!"

"Do you have any idea what the hell you just said?!"

"Cas, sweetheart, no way in hell are we letting you even near a five mile radius of marijuana."

"Cas, I thought we got over this!" Dean, slightly panicked, was trying to keep an eye on the road while glaring at his boyfriend. "We threw them all away, remember?!" Cas sighed, sinking into his seat and trying to swallow the lump in his throat. "We did all that therapy shit, threw them in the dumpster. We were about to throw them in the fire but we didn't know how to start a fireplace, which, thank God, because we were both really out of it and throwing weed in the fireplace would have been a TERRIBLE idea...? Remember that? You said you quit and..." Dean stopped, clutching the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles were starting to turn white. Cas wondered how the hell he was even managing to drive straight. "Have you been lying to me this whole time?"

"What?" Cas sat upright. "No! I haven't smoked it since, I promise." He watched as Dean relaxed the tiniest fraction. "I guess, I'm just, so used to using it as a coping method and today they're going to decide whether or not the person who raped me is going to go to jail or walk free, and Kate said a while back that a lot of rape cases are treated like shit, and..." He sighed again, shrinking back into the seat and making himself as small as possible without crumpling his suit (mostly because his mom had given him a 30 minute lecture about presenting yourself well in court this morning). "What if she goes free?"

"Hey, little bro?"

"Anna, how many times do I have to tell you that you are literally older by only two minutes-"

"Little bro."

"What?" he snapped.

"I don't know about everybody else, but there is no way in hell am I letting that bitch get away."

There was a long silent pause, then Cas let himself crack a little smile at that, and the whole car, except Dean-who was watching the road, yelled out triumphant whoops. "There it is!" Jess exclaimed, pinching his cheek affectionately, "there we go!"