January 20th, 10:54:01 PM

“Jesus Cas, you have some serious attachment issues.”

“What?!”

“We spent the whole day together, and we just left each other 20 minutes ago, and here you are, calling me as soon as you get home.”

Dean couldn't see Cas over the phone, but he knew, just knew, that that serious son of a bitch was rolling his eyes at him. 

“No Dean,” Cas sighed, dragging his name out in an annoyed tone. “Obviously my family has been worried about me the whole day.”

Obviously, because normal families did that. Worry. 

“Yeah, Cas, I mean, you mysteriously left at 5:30 in the morning, and didn't let them now that you were still alive until you dragged your sorry ass back home at 10:30 PM.”

Cas huffed and continued, “Anyway, they kept on asking questions, and so I just told them everything.”

Shit

And I was just getting to being his friend.

After they finished the pie at the hospital and the x rays came in — there was no piece of glass left, no surprise, the doctors probably already knew that but made him do the x ray so they could get a few more bucks off of him — they checked Dean out of the hospital with a rented wheelchair. A wheelchair that Cas made him use or he would never talk to him again, and that’s when Dean realized that Cas was an almightily dangerous control freak who was a powerful force that never lost. He had finally plopped into that damn wheelchair, because, hey, you can’t calm down a tornado.

They had then spent the whole day together, walking, or in Dean’s case, rolling, around town, and it honestly had been the most fun that Dean had ever had. They went into cafes, libraries, different kind of shops, and had sat on the park bench watching young children play in a totally non pedophilic way, even though they were getting many glares and weird looks thrown at them by mothers. The whole time, they had just talked. Dean had never met a person who he could talk to so easily, for hours without awkward silences or him getting bored. The latter was a major accomplishment, Sam always said that Dean had the shortest attention span in the history of short attention spans. Cas was just so interesting, and he hated realizing this, but Dean really really liked him. As a friend, of course. Dean had never enjoyed anyone’s company as much as he enjoyed Cas’s.

Cas told Dean about his college, and more about his family. He talked about how much he loved to read and loved that one vintage soul singer, Ed Sheeran. Dean had amused Cas with stupid stories of Sam when he was little, and had talked about Baby, a damn old but never the less beautiful 1967 Chevy Impala. He told him about his kind of music, which was about as old as his car, The Rolling Stones, Asia, Led Zeppelin. He talked about his job as a mechanic over at the garage. They discussed conspiracies, food, and Thursdays, among other things. The whole time, Dean never lost interest, and by the look on Cas’s face, he never did either.

That day had made him realize that Cas was something else.

So hearing that the Milton had told his family about Dean freaked Dean out. A lot. 

I only got one day. Just one day.