January 20th, 2:03:16 PM

Dean always looked stressed. Whatever was happening to him at the moment, whether it was funny, weird, or happy, Castiel had noticed that there was always always always an underlying tone of stress to Dean’s facial expressions, his movements, his voice. It was as if Dean was a 40 year old man with a family trying to make it work in the Great Depression trapped in a good looking 21 year old’s body. It was sad. Dean was young, he was supposed to be out drinking, going to parties, disappointing his parents. Not being incredibly stressed all the time. 

But as Castiel intently watched Dean sleep on the bed, sitting in a chair, in a totally not Edward Cullen creepy way, Dean looked relaxed. Peaceful. Innocent. In the very few moments Castiel had known Dean, he knew that Dean probably never looked like that when he was awake, like a new, raw, whole person, instead of a broken one. 

The whole thing vanished immediately as soon as Dean woke up, blearily, like he was trapped in some sort of fog. He blinked a few times, and rubbed his eyes, until Castiel could see that Dean remembered what happened, and had probably figured out what happened after he fainted. 

I should probably say something so he doesn’t-

“Son of a bitch!” were the first words out of the boy’s mouth. He was laying down, still staring at the ceiling in disbelief and panic, and of course, with the ever present underlying hint of stress. He sat up, and his head whipped around to look at Castiel’s tired face sitting in the chair a few feet away from him. 

His first words when he woke up was son of a bitch.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

“Why? Are? We? In? A? Hospital?!?!?!?”

Castiel sighed, he knew the second that he told Sam that they had to bring Dean to the hospital that Dean was going to be mad. “You blacked out.”

“I’m aware Castiel,” Dean snarled the other man’s name out, making him wince. This man gave him a nickname that he didn't even want, then used his real name sarcastically when he was angry at him, making it sound like a joke. “So?!”

Oh God I’m so very tired

He closed his eyes, drawing in a long breath, and rubbed at his face. 

I’ve been sitting in this chair the entire day watching over him, and then he wakes up and the first thing he does is yell at me.

Castiel decided to just keep his voice even and toneless, “You fainted, and I didn't want to start doing internal stitches, no doubt, when you could wake up any second in the process and move, possibly messing up the entire thing. Or, you could've stayed under mentally, but still fought back physically.”

“Then…then…you could've just used one of those drugs they use in the hospital to keep me knocked out!”

“I don't have that Dean, it’s terribly hard to acquire. And even if I did, it do not know how to properly use it. If not handled by an expert, you could die.”