August 21st, 5:34:19 AM

Rough hands shook Dean awake, and he groaned, swatting them off before he remembered the....situation and shot up. Cas's bedroom slowly came into view as his eyes adjusted to the light, but one thing didn't come into view. 

 Cas.

 Who had been right next to him on the bed last night. 

 Shit. 

 Dean leapt out of the bed and before he could run out the bedroom the same hands that had awoken him grabbed his shoulder and forced him back. It was Anna, looking tired as hell in her cat pajamas and bun that didn't even look anything near intentionally messy.

 "He's in the kitchen, making pancakes" she frowned and knit her eyebrows together, rubbing her eye, "and he's...smiling and, saying that he's fine and that he's making a nice breakfast for us and....," she sighed, "I woke you up cause-" 

 Dean waved her off, already starting to open the door and go downstairs to the kitchen. "I know."

 ********************************* 

 He was singing.

 Singing.

 It was an old twangy slow song, sung under the breath, and Dean was so confused and perplexed when he heard Cas singing it that he almost shook him, asking what the hell he was doing. Shiba was nuzzling his leg and as soon as she caught sight of Dean, scurried off. Smart cat, she had figured out that she wasn't to be in the same room as the Winchester, and Cas laughed, making Dean's stomach drop. 

 There he was, making pancakes with his wild hair and slender profile; The sun hadn't risen yet, making the house all gloomy and dark, but Cas could be the sun himself, because he was smiling so wide and singing under his breath and this weird happiness shone from him. 

 It was all so wrong.

 Dean didn't know what to do, standing there in the kitchen doorway, with Anna behind him, waiting for him to make it all better. 

 And that's what he was supposed to do, wasn't it? He was supposed to make everything better, be needed, fix every problem because that was his one and only function, what he was good at.And now had escaped him too. 

 Realizing that right now was probably not the best time to be wallowing in his own self pity, Dean tentatively stepped forward, running a hand through his hair. Cas flipped a pancake and put it on the stack to the right of him, that had so many pancakes in it that Dean was sure that Cas's family and his combined couldn't eat them all in 2 days. The mechanic cleared his throat, and Cas turned around, smiling all fake and wrong and Dean wanted to cry. 

 But even the smile couldn't hide what was obvious on Cas's face: He hadn't slept a wink. The bags under his eyes were never ending, and the sallow skin and puffy eyes spoke for themselves. He still wasn't blinking unless necessary. When Dean had turned on the nightlight that Cas had to sleep with every night and went to bed with him, the Milton had become transfixed on the light, refusing to even close his eyes to go to sleep. Dean had attempted to coax him forever, but then he eventually gave up, keeping one hand on his chest, reminding him to breathe. 

 Cas had spent the whole night staring at the tiny source of light, too afraid to close his eyes. Dean felt like such a piece of shit for falling asleep on his soul mate, because he was supposed to take care of him. He should've waited to go to sleep after Cas had, to make sure everything was alright. 

 "Look Dean," Cas said, with cheer in his voice, and Dean winced, "I made pancakes!" 

 He forced himself to smile, nodding. "I can see that angel."