▷ 1 ◁

Austin, Nevada, August 2013

  Reese's POV

   Emptiness and hollowness is what I felt when I stood in front of the case where my mother was lying peacefully, dead.

   I didn't know what happened to her. Why she was lying in the living room in a puddle of blood. I tried to make my father speak but nothing came out of that mouth. And it's frustrating. So. Much. Frustrating.

Unlike me, my father played it off. As if his wife, if he called her like that, didn't just showed up after five years and died in the middle of his house. But, deep down I knew he cared. But not as much as he used to.

My dad always had to deal with trauma and grief but as a hunter- wait scratch that, as a EX-hunter he learned to live with it.

This was one of the reason he decided to move from our old town. But also because of me. He and his whole family always had been hunters and so was trained to do so. When my father discovered I had green mist coming out of my hands. So instead of following the Code and kill me, he decided to not follow it and ran away. And that's where my mother came and died on our carpet.

   Not that I hate her, no I loved her before she left but her dying in front of me was kind of traumatising. I still have nightmares about it.

Anyway, one thing lead to another, my dad booked two tickets with no return to Beacon Hills, his -and mine- childhood town, a very little town, deep inside California.

And right when I was about to ask my dad about the small town my phone rang.

   I moved the phone without checking who was the caller. "Hello?" I said quietly.

   "Hi," Lydia's voice echoed loudly. I quickly turned the volume down when the lady sitting next to me looked at me weirdly. I flashed her a fake smile before Lydia asked, "so how are you?"

   Lydia and I've been friend for ages. We actually met in middle school. Lydia like to say we're like platonic soulmate. Unfortunately, just before the first year of high school, my parents and I moved away because my dad has been offered a job in Nevada. We kept in touch since then. And often traveled to one another's house during the holidays.

Like I said, even with the distance separating us I considered her as a best friend. And her considered me as a best friend.

So when I found out about my power, I directly told her about it. At first she was hesitant but when we saw each other and I showed her I could read mind she was surprised. Not scared but surprised. Which at that moment brought me a kind of comfort.