➵ thirty three

"YOU'RE HIDING SOMETHING, I CAN FEEL IT."

"I THINK THAT'S THE BUTTERFLIES FROM YOUR CODE A.S."

Luther Hargreeves. November 10, 1963.

"HONEY, I'M HOME!" Luther snorted as Rosaleen bursted into their shared apartment with a wide grin on her face.

"I'm assuming the date went well?"

Rosaleen nodded, tossing her bag onto the ground and plopping onto the couch beside Luther, who was drinking a beer and watching television.

"He took me to a drive-in movie and then we went roller-skating," Rosaleen grinned, "It was so much fun, and he's a funny guy so we got along really well."

Luther smiled, "I'm glad to hear that. Will there be a second date?"

Rosaleen seemed giddy by the thought of the man, which made Luther chuckle to himself. He knew Rosaleen was caught up on his brother for a while, since she didn't bother to look at other men, so he was happy to see that she was finally opening up and moving on.

She needed something good to distract her from the fact that she lost her daughter, which was something very difficult to dismiss. Even Luther felt sadden, and he didn't really know the little girl.

"I think so, but first, there's the sit-in at the diner tomorrow so I'll see him then."

"Are you going to be directly in it?" Luther questioned, getting up from his seat to go to the kitchen. Rosaleen remained on the couch, tired from her date. She didn't have a clue on how to roller-skate so she wiped out many times. She was sure her bottom was bruised.

She shook her head even though he couldn't see her. "Nope, I'll be outside and around, just in case anything goes wrong."

Luther raised an eyebrow, coming back to sit next to her. He handed her a new beer he got from the kitchen. "So you're playing bodyguard? What if shit goes down? Should I tag along?"

Rosaleen shook her head, "I'll be good. If cops show up, you know I'll be out of there before anyone else." She smirked and nudged him, "But if I do get arrested, I know my best friend will get me out no problem."

Luther snorted, "Good luck to your best friend then. I'll be home, napping."

He laughed when she punched him in the arm. "I'm kidding, of course I got you, Rosa."

Rosaleen patted his arm, "You're the best, Luke," she paused, placing her beer on the table. He watched her as her smile dropped and she turned serious.

He furrowed his eyebrows and kept his eyes on her, watching her cautiously. "What's up?"

"So what's bothering you?"

Luther blinked, "What do you mean?"

Rosaleen snorted, moving to face Luther in her seat. "I could feel your energy from down the hall. You're disappointed, upset, regretful.. What happened?"

Luther cleared his throat and looked away, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Rosaleen raised an eyebrow, "I know exactly what I'm talking about, tell me Luther."

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐗𝐄𝐍 ⌁ diego hargreevesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara