➵ seven

"WHO ISN'T SCARED OF ME?"

"DIEGO,"

◊

"TWO HOURS?" Rosaleen muttered to herself once she saw that it was one in the morning. She let out a groan at how sore her body was and rolled off the bed. She grabbed her belongings that had been put on a chair — possibly Allison gathering her stuff for her — and headed out of the room.

Rosaleen halted, suddenly remembering her family, until she turned on her phone only to see a text from Vanya, where it said that she had already informed her family she might not be home that night.

Rosaleen was thankful that Vanya had done that, so her parents and Angelica wouldn't be worried, but she was anxious as to what excuse Vanya told them.

Rosaleen headed for the main door but she stopped when she saw someone sitting on the stairs. She recognized the spandex and opened her mouth to talk, but she paused when she saw how sad and distressed he looked.

"Spandex? You okay?"

Diego snapped his head up and looked at Rosaleen. He seemed extremely tired but he also seemed quite relieved that she was okay.

"Nice to see you up and running." He spoke in a quiet tone, giving her a small smile which she knew was forced.

"You're gonna need more than a bullet to take me down," Rosaleen slightly smirked. When Diego didn't respond, she sighed and walked over to him. She stood in front of him, peering down at him. "Alright, what's wrong? Did my scolding make you realize how badly you've treated Vanya and now you regret it?"

When Diego didn't snort or return a snide comment, except stay quiet and distracted, Rosaleen knew something was truly wrong.

She kneeled down in front of him, "Diego? What's wrong?"

Diego looked up from his hands and looked at Rosaleen. She grew concerned when she saw the redness in his eyes.

"Mom died."

Rosaleen's face fell and she slowly rose to stand straight, looking up at the area where Grace would sit, with all the paintings. Rosaleen remembered her conversation with Allison the day Rosaleen first met the family. When she told Rosaleen to stay so they could have a 'mom to mom' talk, they actually did have one. Vanya was busy making a snack with Angelica in the kitchen so Rosaleen found herself talking to Allison.

"Then they asked if Angelica was a mommy's girl or daddy's girl. I'm like bitch, I'm both mom and dad, she's my baby girl."