➵ five

"WE'RE NOT BLOOD-RELATED."

"IT'S STILL CONSIDERED INCEST."

◊

"YOU DRIVE LIKE A GRANDMA," Diego groaned as Rosaleen switched the radio channel and calmly drove.

Rosaleen narrowed her eyes at the man in her passenger seat, "I'm following the speed limit, what do you want me to do? Rip through the school zone?"

"Yes,"

"Well I guess you're dressed for their funeral so maybe I can speed up a bit,"

"Whose funeral?"

"The kid I'll hit when I go over the speed limit you fool!" Rosaleen snapped as they finally got out of the school zone, making Rosaleen step on the pedal.

Diego glanced around Rosaleen's car. It was empty and clean, except the one keychain that dangled around on her mirror. It was a heart locket, and it was rusting. Without thinking, he reached for it.

Diego was surprised when Rosaleen grabbed his hand suddenly, and he looked at her to see her eyes on the road.

"I'd rather you not look in there." Rosaleen muttered and pushed Diego's hand down.

"Why not? Is there someone you don't want me to see in there?"

"Correct."

"Can I guess who it is?"

"Nope. Now, are you hungry?"

"What?"

Diego noticed that Rosaleen was pulling into a fast-food joint that he's always seen but never went into.

"It's noon and I'm starving, are you down to eat some burgers with me?"

"You're giving me a choice?" Diego raised his eyebrow, making Rosaleen snicker.

"You're right, let's go."

Once Rosaleen parked the car, Diego unbuckled his seatbelt and left the car. He waited for Rosaleen to leave the car as he looked at the signs on the windows, eyeing the deals on the posters.

"What? Your first time here?"

Diego nodded, making Rosaleen gasp, "Are you serious?" When he nodded again, confused by her look of disbelief, she headed for the door, "Can't believe you've never ate here, this is the most popular fast-food joint in the world! Come, you're gonna eat some yummy fake food."