➵ forty

"SHE'S EATING KLAUS."

"RIGHT IN THE OPEN, TOO."

Diego Hargreeves. November 12, 1963.

"CONGRATULATIONS."

Rosaleen tore her eyes from Diego's face to look at Allison and Luther who stood at the corner of the elevator.

"For what?"

"I think that's the first time you've ever stood up to Dad."

"I thought it was really funny." Angelica blurted out, a giggle slipping past her lips. "But good job, Uncle Luke."

"Are you okay?" Vanya quietly asked Diego who was awfully quiet the elevator ride down.

"So much for having my back in there. Team Zero my ass."

Diego left the elevator first, while the others stayed back with looks of guilt on their faces. Rosaleen pursed her lips, making her way out of the elevator with Angelica by her side.

"I know he's got that crazy obsession with the president but you guys couldn't even say a word to defend him?" Rosaleen raised an eyebrow.

Angelica nodded, "That old man tore Dad to pieces and you guys just sat there in silence. You guys are assholes."

Rosaleen blinked and grabbed her daughter by the hand, "Let's just go check on spandex," she glanced at the siblings, "She's right though, but dinner was truly eventful! Thanks for having us!" she looked at Luther, "Don't forget Klaus."

The rest of the siblings left the elevator once the mother and daughter disappeared. Luther was the last to leave but he came back instantly, cursing. He forgot something, or someone.

"Klaus."

Rosaleen wandered at the back of the group, watching Luther and Angelica race up the stairs to Elliot's apartment. Angelica was winning.

She looked at Diego who had been silent the entire time and grabbed his arm. He looked back at her and slowed his walking so they could fall in step together.

"How are you doing? Are you good?" Rosaleen quietly asked, a frown on her face. "That man is truly a jackass."

Diego gave her a small smile, "It definitely stung, and it hurt more when none of them had my back," he looked at her with a genuine smile, his eyes softening, "but you and Angel did, and I was very touched by that."

"Hey, I did say I was Team Zero with you."

Diego chuckled. He nudged her, "You seemed pretty pissed. I thought Vixen was gonna snap his neck in front of us."

Rosaleen scoffed, "Who the hell does he think he is? I was disgusted by his words and how rude he is. You didn't deserve to be humiliated like that."

"Well, it happened often. When we were kids, it was mostly me and Klaus who got the most shit, but whenever any of us got in trouble and he yelled at us at the dinner table, the rest of us would just sit there in silence because we feared the old man."