➵ prologue

"RIGHT, I'M UH, VANYA, VANYA HARGREEVES,"

"NAH I'M PLAYING, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOU'RE APART OF THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY."

◊

"JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP, HELEN," Rosaleen sighed as Helen continued to brag about her position in her violin group. Helen gave her a look as Rosaleen opened the door to the washroom. Helen trailed in after her, her large violin case in her hand.

"I'm your older cousin," Helen muttered, heading toward the sinks, "Must you be so disrespectful?"

Rosaleen scoffed and rolled her eyes, "Yeah, you're my older cousin, by like three months." Helen was Rosaleen's older cousin. Helen's mother was the sister of Rosaleen's mother, and even though they were in the same age group, they never hung out when they were kids.

Helen was too busy practicing the violin and didn't exactly like to hang out with Rosaleen, since they were complete opposites. Helen was organized and mature while Rosaleen was silly and carefree. Rosaleen had to admit herself that she couldn't stand her cousin, even though they were family, because Helen thought she was better than everyone else. It was only till recently that they've learned to get along and hang out sometimes.

Rosaleen usually came to watch Helen practice with her group. She didn't really come to watch Helen, but her group as a whole. Rosaleen admired the instrument but never had the chance to learn how to play it, but it was just because she was lazy and she didn't want her mother paying a lot of money for lessons.

"I'm still older so you should learn how to be nice. Men won't find you attract with that dirty mouth of yours."

"I am nice, just not to you," Rosaleen shrugged, walking away from Helen, "Plus, I'm only twenty, I have time to find myself a man that will love me for who I am."

"Where are you going Rose?" Helen questioned, glancing over at her cousin who headed to an empty stall. Rosaleen was her full name but people mostly just called her by Rose.

"To take a piss, what else?" Rosaleen snorted before entering the stall and locking the door behind her.

Helen sighed, "Not only do you have a potty mouth but you aren't very ladylike."

Rosaleen scoffed out a laugh as she sat down on the toilet, "What do you mean? Because I used the term, 'piss'? My bad then, I meant to say, 'Excuse me for a moment while I go urinate,', how's that?"

Rosaleen let a smirk form on her face as she could practically visualize the annoyed look on her cousin's face. Rosaleen loved to piss her off, since someone needed to put Helen in her place. Helen was very stuck up and rude. She always looked down on others and Rosaleen didn't like that.

Rosaleen quickly finished her business in the stall and pulled her pants back up. She opened the stall and headed toward the sink, where a girl stood, her violin case on the counter while she stared into the mirror. Rosaleen mentally rolled her eyes when she noticed that Helen left without her, and without telling her.

Noticing that Rosaleen was glancing at the door to the washroom, the girl spoke up. "Uh.. Helen left a few seconds ago.."

Rosaleen snapped her head to the girl and broke into a small grin, "I know, she always leaves me behind."

"Are you her sister? I always see you at our rehearsals." The girl spoke again, her tone soft and gentle.

Rosaleen reached for the soap dispenser to grab some hand soap. She then began to wash her hands as she shook her head, "Right, you sit behind Helen, and no, I'm her younger cousin, Rosaleen." Rosaleen emphasized the word 'younger' in a mocking tone.

"Oh.."

Rosaleen finished washing her hands and reached for some paper towels, a teasing smile on her face. "I think this is the part where you tell me your name,"

The girl blinked and quickly nodded, "Right, I'm uh, I'm Vanya. Vanya Hargreeves."

Rosaleen slowly nodded before breaking into a playful grin, "Nah I'm playing, I know who you are, you're apart of the Umbrella Academy."'

Vanya let out a soft sigh, "Well, you're half right, but I wasn't 'apart' of the academy,"

Rosaleen raised an eyebrow, "You were one of the seven children Sir Reginald adopted, right?"

Vanya nodded, "Yeah but I never went on missions and stuff, so I'm not really apart of the academy."

"You lived in the academy, did you not? Under the same roof as the other six?" Vanya nodded, making Rosaleen chuckle, "Then you're apart of the academy whether you went on missions or not."

Vanya shrugged, "I suppose.."

Rosaleen grinned, "You're a cool girl, Vanya, I love your laidback attitude."

Vanya seemed shocked for a moment but she didn't really express her shock as much on the outside. "You find me cool?"

Rosaleen nodded, "Of course, you're so chill and laidback unlike my amazing cousin Helen. We should grab some coffee sometime, yeah?"

Vanya seemed hesitant as Rosaleen smiled at her. Vanya slowly nodded, "Sure, I suppose I could,"

Rosaleen chuckled, "You don't have to if you don't want to,"

Vanya quickly stopped Rosaleen from continuing, "No," She exclaimed, "It's just that, I never really had friends so I'm not familiar with the invitation and all.."

Rosaleen broke into a wide grin, "Well then I guess today is the day you gain a best friend, Vanya. How does that sound?"

Vanya let the smallest smile crawl onto her face, "That sounds good."