➵ twenty

"HOW THE HELL DO I TALK IN ANIMAL?"

"I DON'T KNOW, BARK OR SOMETHING."

◊

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Diego stared blankly at Rosaleen as she held the tiny hamster in her hand. Rosaleen grinned and held it up to Diego, who made a face and leaned back.

"Isn't it so cute? I was never an animal person but," Rosaleen looked at the hamster with wide eyes, "You are so cute oh my god,"

Diego watched the woman try to contain her squeal at how 'precious' the extremely tiny hamster was. It was so small that it was barely as large as her palm. It bewildered him to see the aggressive and as he put it, 'psychotic' woman gush and squeal over a little animal.

Was this the same woman who always threatened him?

"You came here to try and talk to them, now you're gonna buy one?"

Rosaleen turned to Diego with a glint in her eye, "Should I buy it? I think I'll buy one,"

Diego sighed, "The world's gonna end in literally a day and you want to buy a hamster?"

Rosaleen's excitement disappeared and she frowned at the hamster, "You're right,"

Diego pursed his lips as he watched Rosaleen dejectedly place the hamster back into the case. She looked down at it with determination, "I'll be back for you, when we save the world."

Rosaleen turned around and headed off to a different direction, "Let's go try and talk to some puppies now."

Diego sighed and followed after her. He watched as Rosaleen blinked, squatting in front of the one dog. She was narrowing her eyes at the dog.

"How the hell do I talk in animal?"

Diego shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know, bark or something,"

Rosaleen furrowed her eyebrows at Diego, "There's no way I'm barking," she looked back at the dog, "Hello, do you understand what I'm saying?"

The dog simply stared at her, making her stare back blankly. "Dog? Woof? Hello? I am Rosaleen,"

When the dog continued to stare at Rosaleen, she glared at it, growing impatient, "Just say something back you damn dog! A bark or something!"

Diego saw a couple around their age walk by with weird looks on their faces, as Rosaleen practically cursed the dog out. Instead of chuckling awkwardly and apologizing for Rosaleen's behaviour, he gave them a deadly glare.

"What are you looking at? Never seen a woman curse at a dog? Move along!"

The couple quickly scrambled and left the aisle, while Rosaleen threw her head back with a groan. "Are you really gonna make me bark? I think Pogo was lying, there's no way I can talk to animals. I bet he just wanted to make me look silly."