➵ forty six

"ROSIE! WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE!"

"PLEASANT SURPRISE MY ASS, WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO VIXEN YOU EVIL WITCH?"

Number Five Hargreeves. November 16, 1963.

"LADY, I GOT NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT." Number Five shook his head, getting ready to fight Lila.

The two had been fighting for sometime now, and Number Five wondered where the rest of his siblings were.

"Ronnie and Anita Gill."

"Mean nothing to me."

"1993. East London. You hog-tied them and you shot them in the head."

Number Five slowly remembered. "The flower merchants," realization dawned on him, "they were your parents?"

"And they never did anything to anyone. They didn't deserve to die like that."

"You're right, all right? I killed them. But I killed a lot of people over the years. It was all just a job. All right? That was never personal."

Lila laughed, "'Never personal', my ass. Yeah, I've killed. It's always, always personal."

"That's why you're not cut out to be an assassin."

Lila pulled out a knife. "Bet your life on that?"

Number Five held a hand out, "Hey, you wanna blame someone? Blame the Handler, all right? She faked the kill order."

"Bullshit. I saw the kill order. AJ Carmichael ordered it, and you carried it out."

Number Five slowly began to realize the Handler's intentions behind that kill order.

"Lila, listen to what I'm telling you, all right? The Handler gave me the kill order. She came on the job, which she'd never done before." Number Five explained. "You're Commission. You know execs never go on jobs, but that day in London, she was there. Ask yourself why."

"Stop trying to muddy the waters."

"She wanted you." Another voice spoke, making Number Five's eyes slightly widen.

Lila grew stiff and snapped her head to her left to see a woman walk out of the shadows. She was ready to bring up her knife but she immediately recognized the woman, her eyes growing wide.

It was Rosie. Number Five was relieved to see his close friend but Lila was in shock. She knew of Rosie. Not only did Lila know her as the most popular member of the Commission, known for her abilities and title as one of the best assassins, but Lila knew her as the intimidating Aunt who had a soft spot for her, and even though she didn't show it, it was expressed every time she babysat Lila whenever the Handler was busy.

That's why Lila was shocked to see Rosaleen, but she knew it wasn't Rosie by her fighting style and youth. Now Lila knew why her mother never bothered to focus on Rosaleen, also known as Diego's girlfriend, when she was sent on this task to get close with him.

The first time she met Rosie was when the Handler came and took her in as her own. Rosie was there with Handler as her right hand, and was the only one in the Commission who knew of Lila's power, as it was a secret.