➵ twenty six

"SOME NERVE YOU HAVE, TO SHOW YOUR FACE."

"I'M SORRY."

Harrison Lee. December 24, 1961.

"YOU WOULD BREAK SANTA'S LAP." Rosaleen snorted, shaking her head at Vincent's suggestion. He gasped and held a hand to his chest as if he was offended.

"Woah, are you calling me fat?"

Rosaleen rolled her eyes with a smirk as she took a sip of the hot chocolate Vincent bought for her. It was the night of Christmas Eve and Vincent asked her to celebrate with him, suggesting to go to the festival downtown.

Rosaleen accepted. This would be her first Christmas without Angelica in nine years. She was glad to have Vincent by her side for her most favourite holiday of the year, as it would be lonely and depressing to be alone—in a place where she already felt out of place—on Christmas Eve.

Rosaleen met Vincent through Master Ip. After two weeks of knowing the martial artist master, Vincent had come back from a trip with his friends. He found interest in the new student, which was Rosaleen, hoping to tease her.

He didn't expect such fire from Rosaleen, as she grew annoyed at his teasing and threatened him. Vincent challenged her to a fight, and obviously she couldn't say no. Vincent was a very good fighter and so Rosaleen lost, as she was still learning.

Vincent respected Rosaleen for her determination and brazen attitude, and he took a liking to her.

The two became good friends but Vincent loved to tease Rosaleen, enjoying her reactions.

Rosaleen was glad to have met him, as he was an extremely great friend to her, despite being awfully annoying.

"Don't even start with me," Rosaleen snorted, "I'm pretty sure Santa won't appreciate an overgrown man on his lap."

"I'm only six foot one."

"Yeah, and you're heavy as hell."

"Now that's—"

"It's because of your muscles you doofus," Rosaleen scoffed, "You know damn well you're fit."

Vincent grinned cheekily, "I know, I just wanted to hear you admit it."

Rosaleen threw Vincent a look of disgust as they made their way down the street, heading toward the large Christmas tree.

Vincent caught sight of a booth and his eyes brightened. "Let's go there,"

"Where?"

"That booth, let's make each other ornaments!"

Rosaleen looked at the booth, "Do you think they'll let us in? We're lucky it's been silent. We've been walking through here for a while and nobody's said anything yet."

Vincent grinned and threw an arm around her neck, "I think they know who you are and know not to mess with you, and if they don't and start saying stuff, I know you'll go crazy on them and protect me. You're my saviour."

Rosaleen pursed her lips as Vincent practically dragged her by the neck toward the booth, "Wow, thanks."

Eyes followed the two as they walked into the ornament decorating booth. He sat on the bench in silence, watching Rosaleen take a seat across from Vincent as he held up two ornaments to choose from.