➵ thirty four

"IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU?"

"THE FIRST THING YOU CAN DO IS GET RID OF THAT WOMAN."

Angelica Cho. November 11, 1963.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Diego questioned Angelica with a concerned tone as she entered Elliot's home with a stoic look. She silently plopped onto the couch and opened her book.

After his 'mission' with Number Five, resulting in him getting stabbed in the abdomen by his own father, Diego was resting on the sofa.

"Somewhere."

"Where?"

"Why do you need to know?"

Diego seemed surprised, "Why are you giving me attitude? Are you upset with me or something?"

Angelica spared a quick glance away from her book to look at Diego, who sat across from her. "Yeah, I am. You shouldn't be surprised."

Diego frowned, "Is it because I didn't go with you last time? You know, I've regretted it instantly, Angel, but I wasn't in the right mind to go with you, and I didn't want to bring you down."

Angelica set her book down and looked at Diego with a sharp look. "Yeah, that disappointed me, Diego," He paused at his name. "It made me feel like I wasn't worth enough to stay with, but I'm over it. What upsets me is that you've only decided to come out not because of yourself but because of that woman."

Diego blinked, "Lila? What does she have to do with this?"

Angelica was bitter that Diego was involved with Lila, and although she had no control of his feelings, she still had the right to feel angry.

Noticing her silence, Diego realized. "Is this because of your mom? Look.. Things change and—"

"You haven't been here long and you already got over her?"

"We didn't even date, Angel."

Angelica shut her mouth. He was right, but that didn't mean she was going to stop feeling frustrated about it. She just really thought that Diego and her mother had something truly serious going on, and that he could make her extremely happy, but he had moved on too quickly for her liking. It wasn't like he had been stuck there for a year and grew close to the woman over time.

"I know that, but I truly believed that you guys really liked each other. I guess Mom was just in the moment, huh?"

Diego furrowed his eyebrows, "What? No.. I really do like your mom, kid, but things just happened. And there's nothing going between Lila and I—"

Angelica scoffed, "Don't even try to bullshit with me, I can feel your aura and you practically reek of sex." She raised an eyebrow, her eyes wandering to his bandage. "You couldn't even wait until you were healed?"

Diego's eyes widen. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat as Angelica stared him down blankly.

After a moment of silence, Diego cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry for the change, Angel.. What happened with Lila and I.. It just happened and I.." He sighed.

Angelica frowned. "Does that mean you don't like Mom anymore?"