➵ two

"ARE YOU—"

"CRAZY, YES, BUT I'VE GOT THIS!"

◊

"I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS, VAN, BUT YOUR FAMILY IS FUCKED UP." Rosaleen chuckled softly as she came back from the kitchen with two glasses of water. She handed the glass to Vanya and Angelica and then took a seat on the lower step of the staircase with them.

Vanya gave her a weak smile, "I know. My dysfunctional family."

"It's okay, Aunt Vanya, you have us." Angelica smiled sweetly as she grabbed hold of Vanya's hand. Rosaleen nodded.

"You're like our mom,"

Vanya blinked, "But you're a mom,"

"Yeah but you could be my mom, since you're very mature."

Vanya chuckled as Angelica looked at Rosaleen and then at Vanya. "It looks like Mom hates your brother."

Rosaleen pursed her lips, "I don't hate him, I just don't like him."

"That's like the same thing," Angelica pointed out.

Rosaleen shook her head, "No, hate is a way different thing. I don't like a lot of things, but I don't hate anything because hate is a strong word."

"You hate Dad," Angelica blurted out, a small smile on her face. Rosaleen fell silent as Vanya looked at Rosaleen with a concerned look. She still had to ask Rosaleen what happened with her encounter with her ex.

Angelica knew of her father but she barely remembered him. She never knew why her parents always argued but if there was one thing or person she loved the most in the entire world, it was her mother. For some reason, she was kind of distant with her father so she never felt a connection with him. In other words, Angelica didn't really care about her father since he wasn't really in her life as much.

Rosaleen let a soft chuckle leave her mouth, "But your dad's irrelevant so he doesn't count."

Angelica kept quiet for a moment before hesitating, "Did you.. Did you see him today?"

Rosaleen halted in her movements, her hand frozen halfway from grabbing the glass of water on the step. "How did you know?" She asked softly.

Angelica shrugged, "You swear a lot but I know you're talking about Dad when you use a certain tone. You sounded like you wanted to set that person on fire and you only sound like that when you talk about Dad."