Chapter 1/2

Chapter One

The sound of chopping resounded throughout the kitchen. Voices shouted back and forth for more food, as more orders were called out.

"How long have you been watching?" a calm voice asked.

Urianna turned around from where she'd been hiding in the corner of the door jamb. Her blue eyes lit up when she saw it was her mother. Standing, she easily topped her mother's height. Her mother wore her crisp white uniform and was currently staring at her with curiosity.

"Your father has been sending out flies for over an hour," her mother stated, her hands coming to her hips. Her calm eyes were now filling with worry. "What did you do this time?"

Urianna pouted, "I didn't do anything. It was that stupid Jor'nan! He kept talking about how humans were inferior and so-"

Her mother clicked her tongue. "And you thought throwing your younger brother's frogs into his bed would make it less so?" her mother said, the red color rising in her caramel skin.

Urianna leaned against the wall, slouching. She flicked a piece of her bright red hair out of her eye. "He was being rude. He always is, and Grandfather always acts as if he isn't trying to insult you. I can't stand it. And the Emperor..." she rolled her eyes, "just ignores it. I hate those stupid events." She let her eyes fall to her toes.

Jesse observed her daughter for a minute. She knew how hard it could be to play 'Royal'. That's why she spent most of her time running her restaurants despite her title.

Reaching forward, she placed a comforting hand on an amber colored cheek. Slowly, she coerced Urianna to lift her head. Walking forward, she used her other hand to pat consolingly on her daughter's arm. "I know it's hard. But, when they insult my kind, you should hold your tongue."

"But!"

"Ah! Listen to me," Jesse said, as she stared into her daughter's eyes that were so much like the Emperor's. "Sometimes in silence, and doing nothing, we can conquer the beliefs about us. Urianna, you are so strong and brave. I worry when your aggressive attitude gets you into trouble. Still, you are the daughter of Aine and me, so for the family that I've raised and am proud of, for now, do nothing. Show the world how calm and collected we humans are, okay?"

Urianna inwardly sighed. She didn't like to worry her mother. Her mother was the most important person in the world to her. Seeing those soft brown eyes filled with any worry always made her feel guilty.

"Ah, okay, but I demand one mini cake a day," she said, still pouting, giving her mom a look from beneath her red bangs.

Her mom chuckled and patted her stomach. "You sure you're not going to be a boy someday, with the amount you eat? I'm sure you're going to be a boy."

Urianna shook her head, her bright eyes lighting up. "Nope, I'm a girl." Her mom narrowed her eyes on her. She winced. "I-I kinda went with Aunt and picked already."

"URIANNA!" her mother shouted.

Urianna dropped her mom's arm and took off. She'd known her mother had wanted to be there when she chose her final gender, but she'd been sick of suffering so many different symptoms. Plus, her brother could be the stupid heir. If not him, one of the twins.

Jesse watched her daughter-for good-take off down the hallway and shook her head. She'd been hoping that Urianna would tell her when she decided. Brushing a hand of annoyance through her hair, she walked into the kitchen and growled out orders.

She wasn't going to forgive Leah, no matter how pregnant that brat was. She was going to shove right past her cow of a husband... Wait, maybe she'd let Aine do it.