Chapter 9

"OH MY GOD, THIS IS GOOD!" Shelby shouted from where they sat on a bench. Her eyes shined as she stuffed the rest in.

Patricia who'd jerked back when Shelby had shouted, smiled relaxing, "I'm glad you like it. I wonder, are you used to eating bad food?"

Shelby stopped eating, and turned to her, slightly surprised, "No, not at all. My mom's a great cook, she's actually opening her third Restaurant."

"Restaurant, you're mother does...business?" Patricia seemed shocked.

Shelby not noticing shrugged, "Yeah, life could get pretty boring for her having people bowing and scraping all day. So she convinced my father to let her work again. She loves cooking, and well let's face it no one wants to be nothing more than a broadmare."

Patricia stared at her friend silently, lowering her eyes lids, she turned away from Shelby.

"On my planet, a woman's highest hope is to marry a man who is over Keehan relation." She said this quietly.

Shelby paused in her eating, to face her. Patricia continued, staring at the children who were running in the park in front of them. "My planet Daymar, is used for the water technology and healing herbs that we grow. Aside from that we are not as well-known, or wealthy. The Keehans who are of the Proctors dissent is a girls only chance to live in luxury, and have a higher title."

She turned her troubled gaze to Shelby, "My father said, that even one night in a Keehan's bed would give me more, than marrying some person from mid-rank. All he does is push to something, anything with a Keehan. How is your father does not with you?"

Shelby, sat her perking down, she felt more than saw Smason and Veron draw closer to hear her answer. "Because my father found my mother by mistakes, and when all was against them they fought to stay together. I guess my planet it simply. Since we are not involved so much in the Dera Alliance. We marry only those we love, or are happy with."

Patricia nodded, her eyes sad, "Yes, it must be nice to live outside the Dera Alliance."

Shelby didn't say it, but she was really thinking she was glad the Trixian crashed into earth rather than any other planet.

After they finished eating, Veron suggested they head to the water parks near the Je'rka province.

The water park was beautiful, filled with statues carved from what appeared to be blue crystal. The pools bottoma had intricate designs of seens that reminded Shelby loosely of the old gods on her planet. Specifically Poseidon, She didn't hesitate when she dived in.

Breaking the surface, she wiped the water from her face, only to choke when Smason holding Particia jumped in right infront of her.

He came up laughing, a drenched Patricia in his arms, she was laughing too though. Veron stealthy entered the water and made his over to them.

"I think payback is in order," He said his eyes meeting the annoyed Shelby, who quickly caught on.