Chapter 23

Author: After spending my soul into school paper here we go the return of items.

The door to the main hall closed slowly. Shelby watched as Tai-fai called the other women forward. The light that came from the room slowly diminished, as the door closed. The servant who served Tai-fair stood outside, they lined the walls like statues.

Slowly she turned away from the door, Cher held the end of her gown. The shoes she wore, kept her high but she felt like she was slowly sinking. Ever step she took seemed to sap strength from her, the lights of the lamps that lined the floor in the darkened hallway only added to her melancholy.

"Cher."

Cher kept her lowered, "Yes, Ce-fu-jin?"

"What happens to me once the prince takes a wife?" The question was spoken softly, Shelby was all too aware that wall had ears.

"Ce-fu-jin, your servant doesn't dare to answer."

Shelby stopped, and she didn't move her eyes focused on nothing, her face stone. "Cher...tell me."

Cher lowered herself to her knees, as Shelby turned to face her. "Tell me what will happen to me."

Cher, "Ce-fu-jin. You will be sent back to castle, as the wedding is finished. And you will be summoned after Kuron night where t-they will mate till she carrying the sun of the Crown Prince."

Shelby looked at the Cher's head, before she turned around and started walking towards her room.

"Ah."

Cher quickly stood, and picked up the edges of her Mistresses robes.

**

Entering the apartments Shelby's face remained emotionless, she glanced up when she heard the clinking of glass.

Ivan stood at his personal desk, his back was turned towards her. The robes he wore were a deep dark red, with serpent sewn into the back.

She raised her hand, dismissing Cher. The doors slid closed, walking across from the carpet. She approached him.

He spoke first, his words pierced her. "I will marry the one who meets Tai-fais and Fathers expectations."

Shelby didn't know why she felt so miserable, as she stare at his broad back. She found herself longing for him to wrap his arms around her, and tell her it wasn't real. Her stomach rolled, she lowered her hands to her stomach folding one hand over the other. "Ce-fu-jin, doesn't want Crown Prince to worry. As this is a royal duty, it is expected that you do your duty. Ce-fu-jin, is just happy to be able to serve the Crown Prince."

She'd lowered herself, letting one knee touch the ground, she bowed her head.

"Rise."

She stood keeping her eyes lowered she dared not meet his gaze.

Ivan took another sip from his the tumbler in his hand, before he placed it down. He walked over to her, her makeup was flawless as were her entire look. He smirked amused at his own thoughts. He placed a hand on her shoulder, but her eyes didn't meet his they remained focused on the floor.

"You-you promised that you would stay by my side." It wasn't a question, he wouldn't let her forget that promis.

Seeming flustered she met his gaze, the blue dark with some emotion he couldn't read. She lowered them again, the decorations in her hair shaking slightly, "Ce-fi-jin, wouldn't dare take the rightful place of your crown princess."