Chapter 26

The wind swirled overhead the sound of crashing thunder and lightning matched the tumultuous emotions running wild inside of Urianna. Lifting a trembling hand, she placed it against the cool glass.

She could hear the music below, they were gathering the visitors for the choosing of the first wife. She was supposed to be on a ship heading towards the Keehan planet, but instead Ivan had requested she stay.

Moving away from the glass, she walked over in her formal garb to the balcony. Staring down at the people down below, she watched as they chatted and talked. The shine of light bounced off the jewels of Ambassador Wives, and mistresses.

Tapping her fingers against the railing she found her eyes looking for Ivan. Finding him next his father she felt her lips tug into a smile.

"Tonight, we are choosing his wife."

Tai-fai appeared at her side, her dress always gave her the appearance of a fairy queen. She smiled as she turned her own gaze to the women who stood in a circle talking. "One of them will become the Empress of all these people," she turned her gaze to Urianna, "I hope you'll serve them well, and help them care for their child."

Urianna couldn't nod, or even answer. Her mouth suddenly felt dry, "I-I will serve to the best of my ability."

"Good," Tai-fai said, she placed a light hand on Urianna's arm, and leaning forward spoke softly, "A whores place is never in the light, stay here and don't dare come below."

She pulled back her expression innocent, "I hope you heed my advice."

Removing her hand, she walked away her entourage following below.

Urianna stood there quietly, gathering as many memories as she could of Ivan. Despite their cold start, and hopeless ending she couldn't allow herself to leave before she spent at least one more moment with him.

Her hands squeezed the railing, "Just one more moment. God, I won't ask for anything if you give me one more moment."

**

Ivan was buttering up one of dignitaries from the boarder planets of Nyol when someone tapped his shoulder. Turning around, he stared quizzically at Cher who held a piece of paper.

Taking it, he quickly read it, he gave her questioning look but she shook her head slightly.

Excusing himself, he left the main ballroom not seeing the cold eyes of the empress following his movement.

Leaving the celebration he rushed out into the storm, following the familiar to the indoor practice grounds.

Pulling the doors open he entered the empty auditorium. The sound echoed, as he entered the doors slamming shut behind him.

Shaking his head trying to get rid of the water, he walked forward he reached the edge of the pit and looked down. Seeing Shelby he jumped, landing on the floor at crouch in front of her.

She'd pulled her outer robes off, leaving only the white under robes on. Her hair was loosed, a flowery green hair pin stuck out.

She sat on the edge of a rock box her legs crossed, she smiled at him. "So you could make it?"

"What your reason for calling me here?" Ivan asked wiping water from his face.

Shelby gave him a mona-lisa smile, "Ivan, how old am I?"

He blinked at that, his eyes narrowed in thought. "Eighteen."

She chuckled nodding, "And what's my favorite food?"