Chapter 23

NOT EDITIED

—Alicia—

As soon as the woman said 'come in' I swear my legs stared shaking. I know I might be exaggerating and all but I was scared. I didn't want to talk about him and I didn't want to cry for her and feel pity about myself. I wanted to be strong and keep my head held up high.

If you want to keep that head of your high you better walk inside.

Once again I took a deep breath and walked in and right that second I wanted to walk back out. The stereotype was true, the office looked cold. There was the big love seat couch where people would lie down and close their eyes. And then my eyes trailed off to the single arm chair and sitting there was a lady with auburn hair which was pin straight, which kind of reminded of a horse's tail.

"Hello," the voice spoke up.

I stare at her eyes which were emerald green and very bright. I blink my eyes and nod as a greeting. My brain went into over drive and I couldn't think, as usual. She smiles and ushers me to sit down on the couch. I look at it uncertainly and then the woman laughs, making me jump. "I swear I won't bite you."

I give a shaky laugh and make my way to the couch. Sitting down, I let my eyes look around the room; it was normal and not hospital looking like. There were photos on the wall of her Masters and certificates' while pictures of her and family were lined on her desk. There was a fireplace which wasn't being used, but it added a nice taste to the room. "Well Alicia, I'm Dr. Greene but you can call me Emerald."

"Emerald." I said her name, testing it. "Wait, you're eyes are actually emerald green.." I stop talking when she smiles, showing her perfect teeth which should belong to Colgate advertisement. I blush and mutter, "You have a nice name."

She nods in agreement and chuckles. "My mother was a very comical woman."

I couldn't help pointing out the past tense she used. I know it was wrong, but I was curious and it clearly showed the manners my mother tried to install in me was gone with her. "Was?"

"Yes," She gives me a small smile. I was going to tell her to stop, I understood the pain of loss of someone dear, but she spoke on, sadness hinted in her eyes. "My mother had a heart attack and I was about 13 then. I went to wake her up in the morning since she was late for work but when I call her she didn't respond. She didn't move when I moved her and then I noticed her body wasn't rising and falling." She took a deep breath and blinked the sadness gone but I could still see a speck of it. "She passed away in her sleep."

Feeling embarrassed for poking around, I look down in shame. I didn't have anything to say. Not even 'I'm sorry' because what's that going to do? A sorry isn't going to bring up a dead person nor will it keep the pain down. So I went to the obvious. "I really didn't know about this appointment."

"Yes," She sighs which made me bring my head up. On her lap were the notepad and pen and again, a stereotype came in my head. She noticed me eyeing it so she putted it aside, leaving her hands bare and folded in her lap. "I won't take notes. It doesn't help the victim and I'd rather listen and give advice from the heart. And you're brother has told me about your problem."

I snicker. "It's not a problem anymore and I'm really okay."

"Well okay then, but just tell me, was Nick ever like this before to you."

I blink in surprise. Well, she knew how to get to the point fast. "Well.." I fidget. I really didn't want to talk about Nick so I looked out her window, and rain was hammering against the windows. I was trying to buy time; I really didn't want to talk about him.