Chapter Three

I walked into school the next day feeling exhausted. 

Staying up at night was not a good idea. I mean sure I was helping mom bake goods for an upcoming event the elementary school was running. That didn't mean I had to sample every treat she made.

Well yes I did. 

Who else was going to be her taste tester? Yeah, but I now felt the effects of my sugar crash. 

Why oh why did I eat so many right before bedtime? 

I walked straight up to my locker. Like a zombie, I entered my passcode and pulled my lockers door open.

"Wow," Clara held the 'wow' a little longer than necessary. "You look like a droopy sack of potatoes."

"Thank you. I can always count on you to be honest," I said as I pulled out my books for the next few classes. "I was helping mom with the baked sweets for the bake off in a few days."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "And why wasn't I called? I like sweets too, you know."

"For one, it was a last minute thing." Shutting my locker, I turned to face my friend. "I wasn't about to call you over so late. Man, I'm exhausted. " I yawned and headed toward the first class of the day.

"You probably wanted to hog all the treats again." She crossed her arms and pouted her lips.

"So I have a sweet tooth," I yawned once more, "Sue me."

"Just snag me a few before they go off to the bake off."

"Aren't you watching your figure?" I looked at her.

She rolled her eyes. "A few cupcakes isn't going to kill me." 

That's what I liked about Clara: her down to earth personality. She definitely wasn't the average cheerleader nor did she set out to be. She was - well - Clara. 

Stopping in front of literature class, we said our goodbyes. At the same time, Harris Groundhog approached us. 

His pale skin and bags under his eyes had always made him look like one of the undead. If I had my say, I'll say he was one of the undead. What's more, the guy was arrogant and annoying. 

"O'Connell," he stopped in front of me. Shoving his hands in his jean pockets, he leaned toward me. "Say you'll go on a date with me tomorrow."

And he had this thing for me. I don't know when it developed or what I did to deserve his attention, but someone needs to come take him off my hands. "Not in your lifetime." I leaned away from him. 

He leaned back, a frown on his face. "Why the hell not? I'm a pretty charming, good looking guy."

"I've told you a thousand times," I paused for effect. "I'm not interested."

"You think you're better than me?" He reached forward to grab me when I stepped away from him. 

"Knock it off," Clara smacked his hand away. 

"Anything wrong here?" 

We all turned our heads to see Mr. Knight standing at the doorway. Looking at him was like looking at a dream. His green eyes looked between us and Harris. When they landed on me, I had to look away. I didn't want to get caught up in them. 

He seemed to analyze the situation. Pointing his gaze on Harris, he stepped out of the doorway. "Mr. Harris?" 

"Nothing's the problem." Harris glared at the teacher.

"Miss. O'Connell, Miss. Duncan, he's giving you trouble?" Mr. Knight looked in our direction. 

Quickly, I shook my head. "No." I don't know why I said it so quickly.