Chapter Forty-Three

I couldn't believe I was possibly hugging and possibly saying goodbye to my only best friend. We decided Spring Break was the best time to meet with Emperor Conrí. It had been Mom's suggestion. 

"I wish I could go." Clara pulled back to pout at me. "I would really love to get in on that coming fight."

I tilted my head, hoping my face gave her an 'Are you serious' look. "There might not be a fight. What would you do then?"

"Go sightseeing with my best-crybaby-friend and drink some good England alcohol. What else?"

"You do realize everything about health will be your lifestyle soon?"

She threw her head back, sighing out loud. "Oh gosh you're right. No worries, I'll advise my clients that one drink rarely is healthy." 

I hugged her again. "I hate that you can't go too. If you didn't count a raging king, we could have crossed England off our adult bucket list."

"I'll address that adult bucket list comment when you get back because I have so many ideas now that I know you're on board." After I pulled back, she held me at arm's length. "If I didn't have vampie work to do, I would have hidden in Daddy Dearest's trunk." 

"I would have snuck you on the plane," Dad said as he walked up with mom beside him. "You're my strongest pup after all."

"I'm older by a month, Dad." I knew he was trying to give Clara that fatherly experience, but I felt like he was either neglecting me a little or trying to push me to focus more on training by using Clara. The latter one wasn't happening, and he wasn't going to know that. 

"Not my fault Clara is physically stronger than you, Amelia," Dad said, grinning.

"I really think I should go, Romulus." Mom looked at her.

I didn't like seeing mom sad, but I understood why she couldn't come. Dad explained that her presence could make the emperor sentence her to death. He wasn't going to let that happen without a fight, and neither was I, so it was best she stayed behind. She would be safer here. Not to mention the fact that mom was an outspoken mom when it came to me. She would probably give the emperor a piece of her mind the moment she saw him. I, at least, wanted to go out in a good way and not because my mom bad-mouthed a king for my sake. 

He turned to her, a frown etched into his features. "We talked about this, Maya. I won't risk you dealing with someone like him."

"I know I'm human, but I can protect her too." She crossed her arms, leaning to one side. "There's nothing worse than a mama bear."

"This mama bear will be staying safely here until the protection of Pack Eclipse. I will keep our daughter safe." He looked at me, smiling proudly. "This time I choose the family I've created." 

I looked at Clara, who looked back. We shared a grin until we both looked back at them to find them kissing. I heard Clara squeaking like a fan girl beside me, but I was trying to figure out when they became a thing again. I mean I've been waiting to see the exact moment for months now. I've been keeping up with every little development too.

He broke the kiss and placed his forehead against mom's for a few seconds. When he turned, he winked his right eye at us. "Let's get going, Amelia. Put your eyes back in their sockets while you're at it." 

I can't believe he had the nerves to walk toward the car and joke about it. There was no way I was letting him get away with it. He was supposed to tell me stuff like this. I literally was rooting for him. 

I hugged mom, but the goodbye had been lost. Thanks to their reunion. I was way too excited to learn how they got back together as I got into the passenger's seat, making a point to stare at him.