Chapter Eleven

I stood among the many gathered in front of a wooden podium. Edward had called everyone to the platform, where announcements and other events occurred, moments ago. Looking toward the front, I saw him walk onto the podium. Once he reached the center, the idled conversation began to lessen. 

My brother was a fearless man. One who looked out for everyone else. Yet as he stood facing this crowd, uncertainty made him look less the fearless man I’ve come to know. 

“Everyone, I brought you here tonight to discuss an important matter.” His gaze floated around the area, falling from person to person. 

“What is it, Alpha?” a petite woman standing near the front asked. 

Edward’s gaze fell on her and he smiled. “This is nothing too difficult. More of a precaution.” He locked his hands behind his back. “I want every able body to be on the lookout for a rogue wolf. I believe the rogue is just passing through, but if anyone catches a glimpse of him, do not engage. Notify me or one of the other ranked leaders.” 

A chorus of ‘Yes Alpha,’ sounded around the crowd. No one really questioned the orders given by an alpha. Trusting one’s alpha with their lives was a high honor given to those who demonstrated their ability to lead and strong wisdom. 

Spotting Edward leaving the stage, I stepped into his path. “What’s a rogue werewolf doing on pack territory?” 

Edward looked me in the eyes. “Just keep an eye out for him.”

He’s hiding something. Rogue wolves don't often come onto pack territory without a reason. That reason usually included looking for food or seeking to return to pack life with a new alpha. However, Edward was telling us not to engage the rogue. 

Who was this werewolf to make my brother wary of him?

“Alright.” I turned to go, but paused when his voice reached me. 

“Your mate — Has she come close yet?”

“No changes to report.”

“If she completes her first change, bring her to me.”

“I will, but why the sudden interest in my mate?” 

“She’ll be family soon. I want to make sure she transgresses into the change. It is my alpha duty after all.”

He wasn’t lying there. It was an alpha’s duty to see that all new werewolves move through their first shift properly, but there’s something off about this whole thing. My wolf’s instincts are never wrong there.

“Hey Alpha!” a male’s voice called from somewhere behind Edward.

“I’m going to take a run around the borders,” I told my brother who gave me a warning look. “I’m just taking a walk. I’ll be back once I’ve done my rounds.”

“Alright. Be careful out there, Little Brother,” Edward said and he turned on his feet. 

I watched him for a moment before I turned on my feet and headed toward the walking trail that extended from our community to a path through the forest. The forest was quiet. Most animals knew to steer clear whenever a werewolf came prowling. Not that it mattered. If I wanted to hunt down any rodent or piece of meat, I could easily track it down with my nose. Walking, I soon found myself at the part of the forest where the rough ground met the smooth, cement road which was made by humans to travel along. Walking, I thought back to the possible reason why my brother was telling us to stay clear from a rogue. 

He must know this rogue werewolf. I wonder if it had something to do with the recents killings lately. Oh right, she went to a party tonight. I wonder if she is enjoying herself and is being safe.

That moment the wails of a quickly approaching car came. I kept my gaze ahead, so I could appear unnoticeable. I didn’t wear anything that could alert the driver that I was walking on the side of the road, but I did move over further to give the passing car leadway. As the car passed me, I caught a glimpse of its color. It was a dark blue color car. 

I moved onward. Just as I was about to close my eyes to the world around me, something ahead of me moved so fast that I could only catch the decading scent that breezed along the wind. Vampire.

The car that passed me veered to the right, off the road. It was then I could hear the sharp scream of a girl, presumingly the one driving the car.

Amalia