Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke to the sun shining into my face. Groaning, my body ached as I sat up. I reluctantly got out of bed. Crossing the room to the door, I stepped out to go into the bathroom across from my room. As I looked into the mirror, I stared at myself for a few minutes.  

That was when images from yesterday flashed across my mind. My eyes widened and I touched my face with both hands, then looked down at them.

No claws. It was all a dream.

"Get ready for school and we'll talk." Mom’s voice brought my gaze to the door. She gave me a small smile before leaving.

I did what was asked. Going through my usual ritual, I was ready for school within thirty minutes. When I came down and entered the kitchen, I went to help mom bring breakfast to the table. She waved me away with instructions to go sit at the table. 

Once we had our breakfast, she told me what had happened. After that intense headache, it was like I was in a dream like state. I saw what happened, but I didn’t fully believe it. And when I passed out and woke up in my own bed, it had all seemed like a dream until mom said it was true. 

I was still trying to wrap my head around everything when I heard the horn from Clara's car. I rose and grabbed my backpack. 

"Oh and Amelia." I paused to turn to her. She had this smile on her face, but it wasn't a happy smile, but one that held a warning. "You raise your hand to your mother again and you will deal with your mother's wrath." 

Oh. That's right. I did remember something about being mad at her that I wanted to do something -- anything to relieve that anger. I was angry at her for the things she kept from me and I remembered feeling like I was a burden to her. She did have to raise me on her own after all. Tears filled my eyes. I couldn't believe I had tried to hurt her.

Her footsteps crossed the room as quickly as she could. She wrapped my arms around my neck, pulling me to her. "It's alright really. Your behavior is normal for a werewolf. You scared me, that's all." 

"I could have hurt you, Mom." There was a break in my voice as I realized the truth of what I was. 

She pulled back, holding me at arm's length. Her head tilted to one side and a warm smile formed on her face. "Your dad wouldn't have allowed that to happen."

"That doesn't make it any right. I just--I feel so much right now." 

"I know. Your dad wants to talk to you after school. He wants you to meet up with him later, so I'll be picking you up." 

"Don't you have work?"

"Yes, but I'll be off. Actually the chaos been died down. Your father has been ambushing me for weeks now. It's why I came home late." 

"He did that, why?"

"He's just trying to come back and I said no."

"You're going to give in though right?"

"That's for us adults to figure out. Now off to school with you." 

"But--"

"No buts. This is your last year so you have to focus on your studies. Besides, Clara is waiting for you."

I left the house without another word. On my way to school, I listened to Clara talk about a crush was going to pursue. It felt good to listen to her. Almost like things were normal again. Things weren't, but there was nothing that could really be changed about that. When we arrived at school, I spotted Harris watching us from across the hall. I thought he would approach me, asking for another date, but when he turned his head to greet a dark haired girl, I figured he moved on. It was a relief really.