Chapter Five

The light shining in my eyes hurt. Raising a hand, I hit at the light only to cover my eyes with my arm. Where am I? What is this light? And why do I feel like I've been asleep? 

"She's back," came the familiar voice of Mrs. Turner, the school nurse. 

"Amelia, honey, are you alright?"

Mom?

"Come on honey, open your eyes so we can see you're alright." My mom's voice was coating.

Dropping my hand from my eyes, I slowly opened them, testing to see if that annoying light was still shining in my eyes. When I didn't feel the stringing rays of the light, I opened my eyes fully. The first person I see is my mother. Her warm face appeared relieved. "Mom, what happened?"

"Oh sweetie," she said just before she hugged me. She kissed the side of my head.

Mom was always this affectionate. I remember being a little girl and I had scraped my knee falling off my bike. She ran to me and hugged and kissed me until I had to complain. Sure my tears dried up right away, but she was being a little overbearing. 

"You fainted in the hallway. Your teacher, Mr. Knight, found you and brought you here." Mrs. Turner explained as she casually pocketed the cylinder I recognized as a flashlight.

"What happened to me?" I looked at the doctor, expecting her to know what was wrong with me. 

My mom had let me go by now. "Yes, what happened to her?" 

She placed her hands in her white coat pockets. The calm look on her face didn't give anything away. "I have a hunch, but why don't you tell me what you were experiencing just before you blacked out."

Looking down at my covered lap, I thought back to the moment just before I passed out. "Well all I remember is feeling hot. So hot that I was sweating. I heard something, but I can't remember what it was that I heard." I bit my bottom lip. "Then I just went out."

"I see." The nurse's voice brought my head up. "I believed you had a mild heat flash. Nothing to be worried about, but I'm no doctor, so follow up with him just in case. My suggestion is you'll need to take it easy for a while."

I looked back down at my hands. Remembering I thought I heard a howl. Or at least, it sounded like a dog howling. If I was to tell them that, they'll think I was nuts. 

Looking up, it was then I noticed him standing in the far corner of the room. I stared at him. He looked back before giving me a small smile. 

"Thank you," my mom said to Mrs. Turner. Then she moved toward Mr. Knight, blocking my view of him briefly. Taking his hand in hers, she smiled. "Thank you for taking care of my daughter."

"It was no problem. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time." Mr. Knight shook her hand then he looked my way. "Take it easy, Miss. Amelia." He pushed off the wall then headed toward the door. 

I thought about thanking him, but something inside of me told me he knew why I had fainted. There was this knowing look in his eyes. That look that said 'I know'.  

Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I rose. My body felt normal. How bizarre. 

"Easy there," Mrs. Turner said, moving to my side.

I put up a hand to stop her. "I'm alright now." I took several steps. The heat that had overtook me earlier was nowhere to be found. My body didn't feel weak either. 

After my mom asked a few more questions, we left the office and school. She drove me home. It was at that moment I thought about my car back at school. 

"Now I want you straight in bed," she said as she parked the car in front of the house.

"What about my car, Mom?"

"You'll get it later. It's locked right?" Mom opened her door and got out.

As much as I hated to leave my car at school, I guess I really didn't have a choice. No one would bother it, I hoped. I could always ask Clara to check on it later. 

I sighed and pushed open my door, getting out. Walking toward the house, I could feel someone watching me, so I looked around. When I saw no one, I headed inside. 

The next day, I was ordered to not go to school. I figured I could use the extra rest, so that's what I did. I slept for the most part. That was until the growling in my stomach became unbearable. Getting up, I walked to the kitchen. 

With my cell phone in hand, I searched the fridge for something to eat. Finding some fruit salad, I took the whole bowl and went into the living room. Settling myself on the couch, I ate and send a text to Clara asking her to make sure my car was good. She said she'd stop by to check on me today, which made me happy.

I thought back to Mr. Knight. He was the one to find me. I wondered what he thought when he saw me. God, I was sweaty and gross. I hoped he didn't think less of me. 

The look on his face was so sincere. But he had a knowing look in his eyes. Why? What did it mean? What did he know that I didn't? 

An image of his forest eyes flashed in my mind. I found myself blushing at my own thoughts. I can't believe I'm thinking of Mr. Knight in that way. 

"I hope I'm not turning into a fangirl."