Chapter Sixteen

As the words left his mouth, it took my mind a few minutes to comprehend what he just said. And what he said was completely not making sense. "I'm not a werewolf, Mr. Knight."

"Lucian. We're on equal grounds out here. There are no titles in the wild unless demanded." Mr. Knight smiled a little, but it quickly was gone. "You're a werewolf."

I started to decline his notion and asked him how he was so sure that I was some supernatural creature when he beat me to it by supplying the answer.

"You showed the signs of getting ready for your first shift some weeks back. When you lost consciousness at school, I took you to the nurse's office." 

I shook my head. "Yeah, I remember, but I was just having heat flashes or was sick." 

"I saw your wolf surfacing that day. You're one of us. Alaric apparently knows that too. He's one as well." He ran a hand through his short black hair. 

"Ok, I don't believe you. But if I'm a werewolf, does that make my mom one too?" 

"Your mother is fully human. Her scent told me that, but your father could be a werewolf. Which is possible but not possible. Werewolves and humans don't mate, so I'm guessing your father bit you, turning you into one."

"You're insinuating my dad isn't my biological dad now." I couldn't believe this. What more did I have to know until my head split opened? 

"It's normal for our kind to turn humans in order to strengthen the pack by adding to our numbers. It's not done often, but it helps at times." 

I didn't really know what to say to that. To all this really. I've been seeing some really out there things lately. That man who I almost ran into. Could he have been a vampire? He did have blood around his mouth. Bringing my arms up, I wrapped them around myself. 

"I know you're probably a bit overwhelmed, but these are the answers you wanted."

"How can I be a werewolf and not know it?" 

"Good question. It's strange that you haven't shown any signs until some weeks ago of your wolf. I honestly have no idea how you avoided shifting except maybe your mind was messed with. You could have shifted before, but not remember it." 

I shook my head again. There was no way I had shifted. Mom would have said something I'm sure. This all just didn't make sense. 

"One other thing I want to bring up with you. I wasn't going to bring it up at all, but you heard the conversation between Alaric and I."

"Yeah." I sighed and looked up at him. "He said he had a claim on me which is not true because I'm no one's property."

"It's not a property thing as much as it's an announcement. Alaric was saying that you and him were arranged to marry when you were born."

"What is this? The 90s?"

"It's an old tradition, yes, but one that is still around. Your father must have agreed to it."

"My mother would never allow that. Besides, I don't even like him like that."

When I set my eyes on him, I saw a smile on his face. I narrowed my eyes. What was so funny?

Seeing me, he wiped the smile from his face, an apologetic look replacing it. "Sorry. I got happy when you said you didn't like him like that. Part of the beast in me, since you're my mate." 

His mate. That's right. From what I knew about werewolves in books, they often told stories about the two main characters being predestined lovers. "I'm your mate. Is that why I see you everywhere?"

"No. If you're referring to the night I saved you, I really was on a run. I'm glad that I was there though."

"And what I saw-"

"Was a vampire. You seeing it moving at that speed is another mystery." He seem to be thinking. 

"I don't remember a lot about my dad, but if he's a werewolf, then Mom has to have known that." The conversation I had a couple of days ago with mom came back to me. She had said that he wasn't who she first thought he was. She had to know. "I think I need to talk with my mom."

"I think that's a good idea." There was sadness in his eyes. From what I don’t really know, but he moved past me. "Come on. I'll take you back." 

I followed after him. This was a lot to consider. Things I had to know for sure. As I watched him out of the corner of my eye, I wondered why he was sad. I mean he just told me the answers to what I wanted to know. 

When we reached the car, I took in the scenery around me. I didn't take the time to do it when we arrived. The car was parked in front of a nice looking cabin house. Forest was all around us, but there was a peacefulness about being out here. 

"I see the log house thing is true." I looked back at Mr. Knight.

He looked at the house. "For a few of us, it is, but it's more of a personal preference thing. I chose to live here because it offers a quiet place for me, but at the community, you'll see more modern style houses."

I approached the passenger's side. Getting into the car, I buckled up. Once Mr. Knight was inside, he drove back the direction he came. 

The ride to my home was quiet. I guess he was allowing me to think about things on my own. I couldn't believe I was a werewolf, but looking back I do know that strange things has happened when I was around Mr. Knight - Lucian. My mate. 

Did him being my mate had anything to do with the sudden jealousy and possessiveness I had felt since we've met? Looking at him, I didn't get any strange vibe from him. I felt safe around him. Too safe actually. That in itself wasn't like me. 

As he pulled to a stop in front of my house, I couldn't help wondering if that part of the whole mate thing was real. 

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Amelia, but-" 

His apology faded to the back of my mind as I moved into action. Shifting in my seat had him looking my way. When he did, I was already too close. So close that when I pressed my lips against his, I could tell I caught him off guard. It didn't take him long before he responded to the kiss.

 It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. Well that's a lie because I recognized this feeling. It was like I was having my first kiss. Giddiness, happiness, and likeness were what I felt as I kissed him. Yet, there was something more. A feeling of belonging and passion flowed through me. 

I broke the kiss abruptly. Too soon actually. But as I stared at him, I found myself puzzled and surprised. His face mirrored my own. When he opened his mouth to speak, I moved back. 

"Thank you for everything," I said as I quickly opened the door, getting out. I didn't look back as I ran toward the front door. Once I was behind the door, I leaned back against it. My heart was beating against my chest. Reaching up, I touched my lips. 

Those books didn't do justice to this first kiss mate bond thing. 

When I heard his car leaving, I moved further into my house. "Mom, you home?" 

Entering the kitchen, I found a note on the refrigerator. Mom will be home late. Guess it was that time of year again where she worked late. With a sigh after reading it, I took it off the fridge and threw it away.

"I guess it's an instant noodle kind of night."