Chapter Thirty-Four

"I'm guessing you didn't expect that." I faced Eztli Von Stein. "I know I didn't."

Eztli turned around and walked until she could take a seat in the cushioned chair here. A nonchalant look appeared on her face."That girl was able to control the bloodlust upon awakening. Asphodel, what exactly are you planning?" 

"You have another woman here — Colette Stone." 

"I don't owe you any more favors, Alpha Knight. Your mate has already exhausted my goodwill."

"You did that for sport." I never dealt with a vampire as old as this one, but from my knowledge they did enjoy provoking werewolves. Sometimes to the point of battling and even after death. "If you don't want a fool werewolf storming this place, I do suggest you hand the girl over to me."

"She must be an important human if you're willing to travel here to retrieve her. Who is she to you?" 

"I don't know her, but the guy that will come tearing through here will stir up a fight I'm frankly isn't interested in participating in. You don't look like you're quite ready to die yet."

"I suppose you are right. Unfortunately for you, I have no idea who the girl is or where she's being kept. You'll have to ask my successor."

"I figured I'll have to talk with Asphodel."

"You Knights are always sticking your noses where they don't belong. That's the one thing about your clan that always annoyed me."

"Don't pretend to be noble. After your stunt today, I can guess you were a handful in the past."

A smirk obviously intended to charm formed on her lips. "I've done my share of devious acts." She rose to her feet in a grace that wasn't natural for a human. Turning, she headed toward the door, not sparing me another look. "You can meet up with your mate by taking a right at the door and following the hall until it leads you to the staircase. The ballroom entry will be on that floor." 

She didn't want me to jump down there I'm guessing. 

I turned back to see that Amalia was being led by Clara away from the ballroom. I could easily meet up with them. I didn't trust any of the vampires here, but I trusted Clara to keep her safe and in check. 

Turning, I headed from the room. I'm sure my scent had been caught by the others by now or that old vampire told them, but I did need to complete my mission. As I left the room, I listened and took in different scents. Finding a human's scent is easy when among a bunch of vampires. Finding the human scent, I moved in the direction of the ballroom. 

To give me free reins to look around this place is a little out of character for any vampire. Eztli doesn't trust me, yet she didn't escort me down to the ballroom either. I can only conclude she's using me for whatever motive she has. It's fine by me though. I do need to find Colette Stone. 

I used my nose for the most part. Avoiding vampires was easy. A little too easy. While it occurred to me that they were aware of my movements, I also couldn't reject the idea that the new blood was stirring up a lot of excitement for the many vampires here. This house most likely held one fourth of the vampire. Their size in numbers is an annoying factor when dealing with them in a fight, but not all vampires were the same in power. 

"Keeping her in the area with the most light, huh." I found myself in a room that looked like it received the most sunlight. It had nice furniture, but the floor to ceiling window was one of the three noticeable features of the room. "Moonlight probably is the strongest here too." 

Walking further into the room, I noticed the wall to my left. There was a large circle there. The symbol for the tree of life was engraved into the circle perfectly as if it was a precious tribute. The multiple colors that painted the tree gave it a realistic look.