Chapter Eighteen

It was going on two weeks now with mom leaving before I woke up and coming home way into the night. I once stayed up to try to catch her, but when I saw the stressful look on her face, I knew she was probably dealing with some complications at the cafe. So I quietly eased back into my room, since I had been watching from the corner at the top of the stairs. 

Climbing into Clara's car, my thoughts shifted to Mr. Knight -- well Lucian. He has been acting a little strange too. Whenever I tried approaching him after classes to ask him more about this werewolf thing because lately I've been experiencing some weird things like strange nightmares. Then the other day, I was sure I saw my nails grow into claws, but it was gone within seconds. 

Not to mention, my mind kept replaying that stupid kiss. He probably thought I was wrong for even kissing him. He was still my teacher after all. Yet, he said he was my mate. Weren't mates allowed to be together despite all odds? Ugh, I don't even know.

"Wow," Clara's voice brought me from my thoughts. "What are you thinking so heavily about? You usually are a social butterfly on these mini drives to school."

I debated with myself on if I should tell her about Mr. Knight and I. There's no way she would believe this whole werewolf thing, much less the mate thing. I just knew she would literally drive me to the cafe to tell my mom that I needed mental intervention if I told her I thought I was some supernatural being. 

On the other hand, she would be supportive. She was my best friend after all. We've been through so much. This, however, was really too big. I couldn't just spring this on her. 

"I'm just thinking about fall break." I felt bad lying to her, but it couldn't really be helped. "You know what you are doing?"

"The girls are going up to the mountains for the first week, so we will have to do our annual horror marathon movie night the week before school. If you're up for it." 

"Do you really have to go with those barbies?"

"We are training for the upcoming competition. This is our chance to practice without spies lurking." 

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'll just do my homework before you get back. You can tell me all about how those fake things tortured you." 

Clara snorted and snickered as she pulled into a parking spot. "I'll be sure to save you all the juicy stuff." 

We got out of the car and headed into the school, parting ways as we each went to our own lockets. This time I had every intention of cornering Lucian. I needed answers for one. The desire to kiss him again was stronger than ever before too. Was it the mate bond? I read it draws two people together. 

Grabbing my books, I headed to class. He was the first person I saw when I entered the classroom. However, Renee Thurston was in his face. Again. I clenched my books to my chest, and headed toward my desk. Just as I was passing them, I tripped over a foot. I was sure. 

"Oh dear, you really should be more careful," Renee's mousy voice came from behind me. 

I turned around, sending a glare directly at her rounded face. I knew she was behind my trip. It was just like this rat to do something like this. I knew because she had done the same thing when we were kids, and I had attracted the attention of James Walker. I couldn't prove she had done it then nor I could now, but luckily for me, Clara was there and had socked her in her jaw. Sure, it led to a fight between the two, but Renee had gotten what she deserved. 

"That wasn't very nice, Miss. Thurston," Lucian said in a calm voice. "Apology." 

"I don't know what you are talking about." Renee twirled a lock of her hair around her finger, flashing one of her watt smiles at him.