Chapter Twelve

I should have known Dean was all about looks and brawl. I mean he practically ignored me for the most part. What exactly did I see in him anyway? I mean he seemed so different, but after tonight I don’t think I’ll be going for anymore sports jocks. 

“So much for that.” I sighed and reached over to turn on the radio. Music immediately fills my car. I bobbed my head along to the fast beat of the song. I didn’t know this song, but after listening to it for a few minutes, I could pick up the rhythm easily. 

Just as I sang along to the chores out loud, something leaped out in front of me. From it’s quick movements, it looked like a person with fangs and red eyes. I didn’t have time to really process what I was seeing because I turned my car to the right, off the road, trying to avoid hitting the thing or person. As my car headed off the cliff, a scream left me. I quickly stomped on the brakes. That only succeeded in my car twisting to the left then right. I tried to regain control. Soon, I managed to get my car to stop, but not before the front was barely hanging over the edge of the cliff.

Oh no, I looked down. Close your eyes. Breathe. Think. What do you know about cars and cliffs? Yeah that’s right, I know how to escape because I Googled it weeks ago. Back window. I need to get out the back window. 

Slowly and carefully, I manuner my body. The car wobbled forward and back, which caused me to pause. I moved again once I was sure the car would fall, taking me with it. My heart raced in my ears. I prayed that I got out of this safely. I still had so much to live for, like college or my life.

Finally, I reached the back. I managed to get the back door open while the car rocked again. I prayed once more, and slowly eased my way toward the open door. As I’m trying to find the right place to put my foot, a hand reached out, snatching me from the car. I found myself looking over my shoulder back in the direction my car had disappeared over the ledge.

“Are you alright?” 

I didn’t miss the frightened tone in the voice. As I looked at my savior, I managed to say a few words. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” He asked once more. 

I recognized that voice. “Mr-Mr Knight?”

“Yes, Amalia. It’s me. Please tell me if you are hurt anywhere.”

I shook my head. “No. No. I’m not hurt. Just scared.” I found myself looking down at my dress, overjoyed to be on steady ground once more.

“That’s a relief,” he said while loosening his hold on me.

As I focused on standing on my shaky legs, I looked back at the ledge. “My car though…” 

“Let’s get you away from this cliff.” He dropped his arms from around me, but kept his hand on the small of my back. Guiding me from the edge, he asked, “How’d you drive off the road anyway?”

“Someone, no, a person with fangs was in front of my car before I knew anything I was heading for the ledge.”

“Could have been your eyes playing tricks on you.” Mr. Knight offered.

HIs presence calmed me, and I walked with him. “How did you even know I was here, Mr. Knight?”

“I didn’t,” he smiled a small smile. “I was out on a walk  and I saw your car heading for the cliff back there.”

Oh. He was one of those fit men. 

“My place isn’t far from here. I can give you a ride home, and explain to your mother about your car if you want.”

“That would be nice,” I said in a quiet voice. Just then, I felt my legs go weak. Noticing this, Mr. Knight bent and lifted me into his arms. “Oh, are you sure?” I asked him as I held onto him by wrapping my arms around his neck. His masculine scent called to me. 

“It’s no problem. You’ve been through something tramized. Besides, it’ll be quicker to carry you.”

I didn’t say anything to that. I mean, what could I say? He smelled good though. I could feel a light blush coloring my cheeks. I didn’t look up at Mr. Knight for fear I would see a smile on his face. 

The walk back to his place was a quiet one. I was still shaking from the almost death experience. I welcomed the silence. Needing to calm my racing thoughts, I focused on my breathing and keeping the almost tears from spilling. 

“We’re almost there,” Mr. Knight said.

Opening my eyes, which had closed sometime during the walk, a small wooden cabin came into view. Why did Mr. Knight live so far away from the city? Maybe he liked his privacy. 

Once we were closer, I noticed Mr.Knight’s car parked next to his house. He lowered me to the ground, once we were beside the car. 

“Just let me get my keys and I’ll be right back.” He half turned, studying me for a moment.

I gave him a small smile, but looked back at his car. It was most likely inappropriate for a student to come inside a teacher’s house. I still wondered what the inside looked like though. 

As he left to enter his house, I brought my hands up to rub my arms. Looking around, I felt like I was being watched. The bushy underbrush that surrounded the cabin made me think that that man with fangs could be out there. 

“You ready?” His voice startled me, which brought a frown to his face.

“Are you alright, Amalia?”

“I’m just a little shaken up. I’ll be alright.”

“Come, let’s get you home.” He moved around to the passenger’s side and opened the door for me. I hurried to my side of the car, just so I didn’t have to be under the watchful gazes of whatever was out there in the forest. 

The drive home was quiet as well. I looked out the window the whole way, trying to gather my thoughts together. What was Mom going to think when she found out I had driven a little reckless? What would she think if she saw me in this dress? I was so in for a lecture, I just knew it.  When we got closer to my house, I gave Mr. Knight directions. Soon he pulled up to my house.  He started to turn off the ignition, but I stopped him. “You don’t have to tell my mom. I’ll explain everything to her.”

“You sure because I can explain things if you want.”

“I’m sure. She would think something is wrong if you came in with me.”

“I want to make sure you are alright, Amelia.”

“Thank you, Mr. Knight.” I turned to look up at him. Tears shimmered in my eyes, but they didn’t fall. For once in my life, I was so glad that it was Mr.Knight who saved me. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. 

“It’s no problem. I’m just happy, I happened to be there at the right time.” 

“It’s not just that.” Looking down, I thought back to how Mr. Knight had been there for me when I was in trouble. He was like a knight in shining armour. My shining knight.

"What do you mean?" He turned his head to look at me. There was an unreadable look in his eyes. 

“Just--thank you, for everything. I've been through so much especially after tonight that, well, I'm glad you were around." Quickly, I leaned over and kissed Mr.Knight on his cheek or well what I thought was his cheek, but I actually felt the corner of his mouth. 

Blushing, I casted my gaze down. "Goodnight, Mr. Knight," I said in a hurry and opened the door, quickly getting out. I didn't even look at his face before leaving the car and running up to my house. I just couldn't. Not after that kiss.