Chapter Thirteen

Last night was one of the scariest nights of my life. Seeing her on the edge of life and death scared me more than I was willing to let on. Leaping over a fallen tree, I continued running as fast as I could. 

After dropping Amalia off last night, I returned to the community. I found Edward and reported to him about my mate seeing a vampire. He was surprised more by the fact that she was able to recognize she saw a vampire than the fact that one had dared to wander so close to the pack land. 

Most werewolves who haven't had their first shift were like normal human beings. They had normal eyesight. Seeing a vampire when it was moving at inhuman speed was near impossible. I guess Edward is thinking she had shifted before. I mean it was possible. Suppressing a werewolf's memories is doable. 

Slowing down, I came to a stop. I took a few minutes to catch my breath before turning around and running back the way I came. When I reached my house, Rieka Winifred stood on my doorstep. Slowing, I walked up to her. 

Rieka Winifred was one of the stronger female werewolves in the pack. She was pretty, but she had nothing on my mate. Besides, Edward is the one who had this huge crush on her. 

"Out on another run?" Rieka turned to face me. It was clear she had knocked on the door.

"Been doing a lot of thinking lately. What can I do for you, Luna?" 

"I'm not luna nor do I want to be luna." She placed a hand on her hip. 

I smiled knowing just what to say. "Does Edward know? Because I'm pretty sure he's going around growling at any male who looks at you."

A blush colored her checks. She averted her eyes. "We have an agreement and it doesn't concern you."

"It doesn't concern me huh, Big Sis. When's the wedding?" I arched an eyebrow. 

"There is no wedding." She narrowed her eyes on me. "Stop teasing me. Look, I need you to get me some things when you go into the city."

"You can't ask Edward, why?" I stepped past her to open my door.

She sighed behind me. "He's been too busy lately. Besides, you go into the city more than any of us. I figured you wouldn't mind helping a girl out."

"If I do this, you know you owe me a favor?" 

"Sure, sure. Hey, here's the list of stuff I want you to pick up." She held out a folded sheet of paper.

Taking it, I looked down at it. "You're not making me get anything too girly are you?" 

"Just the usual along with some other things. Thank you, Luc." She turned to leave.

"I want my favor when I ask you for it." I called after her. She waved her hand as she walked away. I could remember a time where she had delivered my favor ten days after I asked for it. Shaking my head, I went inside to wash the sweat from my body.

***

I'm going to throw Rieka into the river for making me buy pregnancy tests.  

I couldn't believe she had that on her list. I guess I could, but this only raised more questions. Who thought they were pregnant? Rieka usually gave me a list with things that most of the pack women wanted. In any case, I was still going to toss her in the river. 

Moving toward my car, I thought about the rest of the stuff I still had to get. It shouldn't take me long. Plus, I still had work to grade. Shoving the bags into the backseat, I closed the door. When I started to climb behind the driver's seat, something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. 

I had to look again, but I was sure. It was Amelia. She was with her mother, and they were toward a table which was sitting on the outside of the restaurant. She looked like she hadn't been in a car accident. In fact, she looked good. Did she really think so little of her life? Or was the accident still sinking in? 

I needed to know. Closing the car door, I crossed the street when it was clear. Hiding myself behind the side of a building that was a good distance away from where they sat. I focused my hearing so that I could pick up on the two O'Connell women. Crossing my arms over my chest, I leaned against the wall for appearance sake. 

Mrs. O'Connell placed her hands on the tabletop. "I don't think you should drive alone at night for a while."

"I guess you're right." Amelia looked down in thought. 

"Those deaths lately have done nothing to ease my mind either."

"Mom, this is depressing. Can we talk about something else?" 

She seemed to be thinking when an idea came to her. "Your teacher, Mr. Knight, he seems to be around you a lot." There was a mischievous gleam in her eyes. 

"You think?" Amelia looked up, and then looked back down at the menu. "I think he just happens to be in the same places as me." 

A small smile appeared on her mother's face. "Why do I sense that you have a little crush on him?"

Amelia's gaze darted up. "Mom, please stop. I don't."

The older woman turned her gaze upward. "You know, it's ok if you did. I mean it is normal to like older men. And he is cute."

"Come on Mom," Amelia stressed. 

"I'm just saying."

"It's not even like that."

Well that actually hurt a little. I was sure I was reading her signals correctly, but maybe I was wrong.

"Ok, but if he or anyone else does anything inappropriate, you know where to kick him." Mrs. O'Connell returned her gaze to her daughter. 

"Yes."

"But seriously, Mr. Knight, I just want you to be careful around him."

"Why?"

"He might not be who he shows he is. That's all." 

At that moment, a waiter appeared. He took their orders and left. Once he was gone, Amelia leaned her chin against her right palm. "I mean he is a teacher, so he won't show us his real self. Mom, what is this about?"

"It's nothing, Sweetie. I'm really just being the overbearing parent I am." Mrs. O'Connell flashed a bright smile in Amelia's way. "You know, your dad wasn't who I thought he was when we first met."

"He wasn't? What was he like?"

"Your dad was a good man with a kind heart. He was annoying as hell sometimes, but he was the light of my heart. You remind me of him with that sweet tooth of yours." 

"It's too bad that I didn't get to meet him."

"You've met him, Sweetie."

"Yeah, but I was, what, three when he died. It's more like he met me." There was sadness in her beautiful eyes. "I wish he was around."

"Me too." Mrs. O'Connell's eyes mirrored the same sadness. 

Deciding that I've heard enough, I left my hiding spot. Besides, I felt like I was intruding toward the last bit of their conversation anyway. 

Returning to my car, I was glad to know that I at least had a small blessing from Amelia's mother when I did decide to reveal myself to her. Yet, I don't think I should reveal myself to her. Nor the fact that we were mates. 

What kind of life would she even have once she knows the truth? Sure she was a werewolf, and she could shift at any time. But I couldn't help feeling like I would only do more harm than good to her. I couldn't just leave her be either. Edward would have my head if he thought I was being irresponsible. 

I could watch her from afar though. Guide her from the shadows even. I didn't directly have to interact with her. 

Yeah, I think that's what I will do.