Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Lucian!" I had stopped drinking when I heard a surprised yelp from Lucian.  When I turned around I saw him on the ground and another wolf standing where he was. 

"It's alright Amelia. This kid only gave me a little push." Lucian growled at the other wolf. 

The other wolf's upper lip rose to show his fangs. "Looked like I knocked you on your ass actually."

"Alaric?" I looked at the tawny wolf. That can't really be Alaric in there, right?

"You finally shift huh?" He glanced at me. If he was human, I was sure he was flashing a charming smile. "Nice coat."

"Kid," Lucian rammed into Alaric,  knocking him to the ground. "That's payback. Now get up." 

"You'll pay for that." Alaric got to his feet, shaking his head. 

Lucian spread his four legs out and lowered his head. His tail was hung to one side. The two looked like they were sizing each other up. Then Alaric ran at Lucian. Lucian leaped to the right when he was close enough, grabbing Alaric by the shoulder and shaking his head as if he was tossing him. A growl came from Alaric, but he bit at Lucian's leg. The two were then tangled in a web of fangs, claws, and limbs as they rolled on the ground. 

I couldn't tell who was winning. All too soon, Alaric stood hovering over Lucian. His paw held Lucian in place on the ground. I wanted to scream in horror as Alaric went to bite down on Lucian's neck, but instead a bark left me. When Alaric bit down, Lucian punched him right in the face. Alaric went flying across the ground. 

Lucian got to his feet. "I promised you I'll hit you harder the next time, didn't I?"

Alaric had morphed back into his human form, but he was still on his knees and arms. He split out what looked like blood and a tooth. "That was dirty. We were fighting wolf to wolf."

"No fight is ever fair." Lucian reached up to press his hand over his wound. "The real fight has only started."

"That's enough." My dad was walking toward Lucian. I hurried to their side. 

Lucian continued to look at Alaric, who had risen to one knee. 

"Let them fight it out." The voice of another came. "This is a fight over a female after all." 

"Ringer," my dad said as he looked in the direction that Ringer was approaching. 

"Here." My dad handed clothes to Lucian without looking at him. "Amelia, think about your desire to walk on two legs to shift back into yourself." 

Lucian dropped my clothes beside me. Mine must have been wrapped in his. I gladly picked them up and ran behind the nearest tree. 

"You came out here for a friendly visit?" I heard my dad ask. 

I closed my eyes, thinking of being on two legs again. I could feel the wolf in me had started retreating back as if the request was understood. 

"Wish that was the case, Romulus." Ringer seemed to reply. "You can guess why I'm here." 

"You're not my daughter's alpha."

When I walked from behind the tree, I saw that my dad was fully facing this Ringer guy. Lucian is dressed and I could feel the unhappiness rolling off of him. Alaric is only wearing a pair of pants, but he is sitting on the ground with one leg bent in the same area he had been knocked too. 

Ringer didn't seem affected by hearing that. "She was born a member of Night Walkers. I am the current alpha."

"She can always leave," Dad said in a calm voice.