Chapter Four

This day marks one month into classes. I'm pleased to learn that I have a bunch of good students. Sure some were a little rough around the edges, but for the most part, they did their work. It might have something to do with it being their last year of high school, or they really wanted to learn. Whichever the case, I'm a proud teacher. 

Walking along the hallway, my thoughts reverted back to my mate. I learned that she was human. A human girl with a very outspoken mother. Her father is nonexistent. She grew up here. I recently made a transfer here, so I was still getting used to my settings.  

Coming back to live with my brother's pack had proven to be a blessing in disguise. Who would have thought my mate was here? 

What's more, the pack accepted me without question. Apparently, family was big with them. In my old pack, we were allowed to come and go at will. Our alpha hasn't been the caring type unlike my brother. 

It fascinated me the way Edward's pack worked together and looked out for one another. Especially after he stepped up as alpha.

I smiled at a passing teacher. Word about me had spread like wildfire. Which was expected from a small town. Yet that wasn't the only reason I came to live with my brother.

He called me up one evening explaining how he could use my help. Miller's pack and his were fighting over land. I was called in to aid. Though I didn't look like it, I was a pretty good fighter. It's the reason my brother requested my presence. A pack territory war wasn't something I participated in, but for my older brother I'll do almost anything he asked.

Walking into the cafeteria, one look around told me that it was definitely lunchtime. The place was crowded with students of all races. Rather they moved around, standing, or sitting the look of ease on their faces wasn't missed. It was my turn to watch them. The teachers here took turns supervising during lunch. It was a little refreshing to not have to eat lunch in my classroom by myself. 

Many scents flooded my nose. I was used to many of the smells due to me having always worked among humans, but I caught the scent of death. Glazing around, I spotted them. A group of girls. All wearing cheerleader outfits. 

So vampires live here too. I never thought werewolves and vampires could coexist. 

A few of the cheerleaders looked my way. Some winked and smiled at me. I gave them a small nod of my head. Turning I walked up to the steady growing line where students lined up to get their trays of food. 

When it came time to get my lunch, I reached into my pocket to pay for it. Taking my tray with me, I found a seat near the front of the room. I began eating just as a familiar scent came to me. Following my nose, I found that my mate had just entered the cafeteria along with her friend.

A smile tugged at my lips, but I kept it from forming. Turning back to my lunch, I began eating. A few minutes later, Amelia and her friend passed by my table. It was then I caught it.

It was faint. Like really faint, but I caught it.

The scent of a werewolf. 

Looking at the back of my mate, I wondered who she was around. The scent was feminine, but it was of a werewolf. Could Clara be a werewolf?

There were so many possibilities. Looking around, I spotted several male werewolves, but they were nowhere near my mate. 

Deciding to investigate later, I resumed eating. After lunch, I went back to class. The bell rang again to signal the end of the period for lunch or class. I hurried back to my classroom. 

Later that day, after classes were over for the day, I gathered my things. I had given a test in each of my classes, so there was no way I had any plans of going out with the guys tonight. No, a quiet night at home was what I needed. 

Walking out my classroom, I headed toward the parking lot. Things were running smoothly until I got a waft of the familiar scent of my mate. Delighted at a chance to see her, I quickened my steps.

Rounding a corner, I saw her. She was leaning against a wall. The stench of panic and sweat came to me. She wobbled on her feet until she slid down the wall. Hurrying to her side, I looked for any signs of injury. 

She was hot to the touch. Her skin flushed and pink. Her heart rate was steadily increasing. If I had to guess anything, I'll say she was preparing to shift, but she was human, so that option was off the table. She was probably running a high fever. 

"Amelia, can you hear me?" I tried to look into her face.

A soft groan left her lips. Then her head rolled to the side. And for that brief moment I saw them: her eyes.

They were yellow just before she closed them. The familiar scent of a werewolf came again.

"You can't be…" I found myself staring at her. Then I lifted her up into my arms. 

She leaned into me. No doubt the pleasure feeling she was experiencing was urging her toward me. I felt them too, but I couldn't focus on that right now.

"Hey, Amelia." I tried to wake her once more. Standing to my feet, I looked around. Not seeing anyone, I breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Mr...Knight," she said in a breathy whisper. 

"I'm here," I told her as I carried her to the nurses office. 

She snuggled into me. I could feel her fever slowly getting better. That was most likely because she could feel my presence. As her mate, this transgression into a wolf would be easier on her with me near her.

My only question was: how is she a werewolf?