Chapter Thirty-Nine

It's a week before Christmas and we were out of school for the holidays. I felt like a little girl again. All excited and bubbly. It has always been Mom, Clara, and I on the holidays, but after finding out my dad is still alive, the little girl in me is thrilled. I've always wondered what it was like to have a dad playing Santa on Christmas day. I didn't expect him to actually dress up as Santa, but the thought was nice. If I'm honest with myself, having my complete family around has always been on my mind. I've always wondered why mom didn't remarry. I know the reason now and I understand it, but I didn’t like that I had been lied to. Mom was still trying to make up for her lie, but she doesn't realize that I've forgiven her for it. And I didn't exactly tell her either. Who was I to pass up her award winning gingerbread man cookies? 

As I munch on one, I couldn't help dancing in my seat. They were always so good. Mom probably put her everything into them too. Her detailed decorations on them were professional and cute. I should tell her though. "Maybe after Christmas." I bit into my treat once more. This time kicking my feet to get the porch swing going. 

The blissfulness of my wandering thoughts ended with the echoing, brisk steps of my dad stomping up the concrete steps. Normally, he would see me, smile, and chat with me, trying to get mom's current mood out of me, but judging by the look on his face and his non-subtle way of not acknowledging me, I knew something was wrong. I never seen him look that serious or angry before. 

Halfway to the door, I had shoved and chewed the remaining piece of my cookie into my mouth. The moment I pulled the door open, I heard dad calling for mom. Following her reply, I found them both standing just outside the kitchen.  

“He knows, Maya.” Dad stalked beside mom.

The confused expression on her face reflected mine. “Who, Romulus? And will you calm down? You know I can’t understand you when you’re pacing around like a bear.”

He shot her a frown, which she promptly returned along with narrowed eyes. Running a hand through his hair, he looked at me. His eyes were full of fear drawing me closer. “Emperor Conrí knows about Amelia.”

Dread morphed my mother’s face. That alone alerted me to the severity of the situation. I just didn’t understand how bad the consequences were for my dad breaking some rule made by a king. 

“He won’t come here, will he?” Mom looked at Dad. “We have to hide her.” Hervoice shook with rising panic. 

Dad slipped his arm around her waist, moving to her side and rubbing her back. Concern flickered across his face, but his voice held anger. “He won’t come here. Don’t worry about that.” He held up an envelope. “He summoned me instead. This letter is my order to appear in front of him.”

Mom snatched the letter, which was on the other side of the envelope. Unfolding it, because it was a bit crumpled, her eyes read over its contents. 

“He wants me to bring our daughter, but there’s no way I’m risking Amelia’s life.” A low growl left him.

Mom lowered the letter. Her face is a mixture of emotions. I half expected her to burst out in angry shouts and cusses, all thrown at Dad. Instead tears formed in her eyes. “This can’t be happening,”she whispered.

We both heard her, but it was dad who turned around and punched the wall, causing us to jump where we stood. His shoulders were tense and I could feel myself wanting to shirk away from him. I did take a step back and look at the ground. I didn’t know what else to do. I heard him pulling his fist from the wall. 

“I guess I’m going out to kill an emperor. Shouldn’t be that hard. The man isn’t that good in a fight.”

His words had me looking up. I might not understand the way things are done in the supernatural world very well, but I did know that trying to kill an emperor wasn't a good thing nor was it as easy as he was making it sound. The emperor was on top for a reason. Dad could get himself killed and I’ll lose him again.