Chapter Nine

I shouldn't have touched her. Just what was I thinking? I was thinking about how she'd called out to me. How I smelt her panic when she was assaulted by Mr. Harris Groundhog. The way Jace propped down beside me on the couch in the big house had me glancing at him. "What the hell is eating you?"

"My mate. What else?" I sat back against the couch. We were at my alpha's house once more. The only difference was the game system wasn't on. 

He leaned back as well. "I hope I never find my mate. I really don't want to be all moppy like you."

"You're only twenty. She'll find you." Closing my eyes, I wondered what kind of woman would even begin to turn Jace into a loyal puppy. 

"God, I hope not. I'm not ready to be tied down," he said as he folded his arms behind his head. 

Looking over at him, Jace’s many hookups or flings came to me. "You really shouldn't be jumping from girl to girl, Jace."

"Hey, it's the twenties. I'll do what I want." He grabbed the remote control from beside him. "My mate will just have to understand that I'm not the type to wait." 

"And that's why, Little Brother, you will end up with a strong willed woman." Edward's voice caused me to look up to see that he was leaning against the back of the couch. 

"Don't come bothering me just because you can't find that rogue wolf hanging after town." Jace turned the television on. 

"Rogue wolf?" I sat up to look back at my brother.

"Nothing to be concerned with Lucian." He turned his back to lean back against the couch, arms crossed.

I didn't believe him. "A rogue wolf on top of dealing with Miller. What aren't you telling me, Ed?"

He sighed and looked back at me. "Have your mate completed her first shift?"

"No, now quit dodging."

"It's nothing Quinn and I can't handle. I have him and a few warriors out looking for the rogue. As for Miller, the time will come when I'll need you." 

"I just hope you don't leave me in the dark too long." I probably shouldn't have said it like that, but I wanted him to know that I knew he was keeping something from me. 

Watching conflicting emotions forming in his face, I silently hoped he would spill all he knew about whatever it is he knew.

He was quiet for a moment, looking forward. "Watch your mate and keep her close." 

What was he trying to tell me? I rose from the sofa. I had enough of Edward and his puzzles. 

"Where are you going?" Jace asked.

"Out. I need a run." 

Running through the forest was like floating on cloud nine. I usually did enjoy running. It was soothing. In my wolf form, I could run for hours, but I didn’t change. I needed to keep my head and not give in to my natural urges that came with giving the beast within my lead. 

There was something going on and it was happening right under my nose. Why all of a sudden was a rogue werewolf hanging around? 

Rogue wolves were known to be rare nowadays as every werewolf usually had a pack or alpha. Besides, the majority of the rogue werewolves were nasty, insane beasts that thrived on their basic needs. Imagine rabies. Rogue wolves were like that. 

Why did he tell me to keep Amelia close?