Chapter Thirty-One

Clara: Hey, Babe, I gotta cancel the tradition. We're doing extra practice. Will make this up. Later. 

            Me: Ok. Good luck, Clara 

Rereading wasn't going to magically make her pop up at my front door with a bag of snacks and a smile. So why was I hoping she would? 

"You shouldn't sulk around all day. Just because Clara couldn't make it yesterday, doesn't mean you should be depressed." Mom carried a basket of clothes and set them down beside her as she sat on the sofa.

I sat up with a sigh. "We always have our girl's night. It hasn't changed since we were girls."

"Well things change." She picked up an article of clothes and began folding it. "You know how cheerleading is important to her. She wants to be the best."

"I know. It's just lately we've both had almost no time together."

"Well this is your last year of high school, Amelia. It's a pretty busy time for you both."

She wasn't lying. I was still deciding if I wanted to go to college after this year. And Clara, well, it was obvious she was going into cheerleading. Her dream was to cheer at an NBA game. I was still on the bricks about my life. 

A couple of knocks at the front door drew our attention. I looked at mom and she looked back. Both of us were wondering who should get the door. I knew I would have to but still.

"I'm folding," she said the moment I opened my mouth to protest. 

I narrowed my eyes. "Send your kid to the door. Some mom you are."

She continued to fold. "Says the werewolf with the most strength."

With my phone in hand, I got up, stepping past her. "I didn't even know I had super strength." 

Opening the door, I found dad standing on the other side. He wasn't living with us, but mom and him were at least talking. Since he had no pack to return to, he said he was in the process of buying a home somewhere on the outskirts on the other side of the city. Apparently, he had enough money saved up from his investments and the inheritances that came from his family. 

"Hey, Dad, joining us for dinner?" I arched an eyebrow.

"Is that an invitation?" The smile on his face was a mischievous one.

"Are you buying?" Mom came up behind me. The tone was light, yet serious.

His gaze shifted to her. "I wouldn't be a gentleman if I wasn't, but we can talk about dinner later." He brought his gaze back to me. "I actually wanted to make up for most of those birthdays I've missed."

That caught both our attention. We looked at each other before looking back at him. A set of keys dangled in front of my face. I couldn't believe this. I looked around him, quickly spotting a silver car.

"It's the newest model of a Lexus. I hope you like it." 

Mom sighed. "You didn't have to get an expensive car for her, Romulus." 

"It's her first car. She needs a great one." He took my hand and placed the keys into my palm.

"It's not my first," I was smiling, but seeing the puzzled look on his face, I had to explain. "Mom helped me get a car when I was sixteen. This is my first expensive car though. I love it!" I hugged him tightly. 

He patted my back. "That's a relief. I would hate to take it back."

"You brought a car for your daughter, but you failed to get one yourself?" Mom asked him.