Chapter Forty-Eight

"Amelia, we are so proud of you." Mom embraced me.

For the fifth time today, I think.

We finally got to leave after the graduation ceremony. It was a nice ceremony and I graduated within the top 20s with a great GPA. Clara as well. After we threw our hats into the air, the ceremony ended with us graduates being showered by confetti cannons our teachers held. 

Lucian was among the teachers, and we did get to greet each other for a moment. He told me he will meet me later just before other students came to get his signature for their yearbook. 

I walked around with Clara saying goodbye to other classmates. Or exchanging polite insults, in Clara's case, with a few individuals we didn't care too much for. Oddly enough, Harris was a no show for the graduation and Beatrix acknowledged me in front of a lot of popular peers. I saw Alaric passing out his signature smile to the girls that swooned over him. He even went as far as taking pictures with a few. He spotted me and gave me a nasty smirk, which I promptly ignored. 

When we got back home, I headed upstairs to change from my graduation gown. Well take it off because I had a dress on underneath. Mom wanted it as a keepsake. Clara was having a huge graduation party at her house. Her parents were a no show as well, but that was no surprise. She didn't look sad or angry about it, but I knew she was. Mom and Dad had showered her in hugs, kisses, and gave congratulations as they did me, but she declined joining us for a celebration dinner with the excuse that she needed to check on preparations for the last big party as idiotic teens. 

Once I folded the gown and sat it on Mom's bed, I went down. Dad tousled Mom's hair, earning him a slap on his hand and a glare. He laughed at her, and I couldn't help wondering how growing up with him would have changed me. 

They noticed me and we were soon out the door and into the car. Dad took us to a buffer style place. I didn't care where we went because I was hungry. Once we all had gotten our plates, we settled at our table and began eating and talking like a family that always was. 

Clara's party was one to remember. Our classmates and a good many college students were there. Not to mention a load of vampires and even werewolves had joined in as if a rivalry didn't exist between them. I just knew Clara's parents were going to be angry after this party. No wonder she wasn't too upset about them not showing up for her graduation. She pulled out the huge guns tonight. I think I even saw a couple going into her parent's room after she gave them instructions on where to go. 

I lost sight of Clara when I thought I saw the ombre head of Colette, Jace's girlfriend. Me wondering if Jace was here meant that Lucian was nearby had me trying to locate her among the massive crowd. When I looked back toward the staircase, Clara wasn't there. She must be living it up. I'll have to check on her later to make sure she's ok, but I needed to get out. The smell of smoke, body sweat, and bubbles, because Clara had a bubble machine going among the balloons and confetti, was getting to me.

Stepping outside, I inhaled the night air. It wasn't long ago where I was in a similar position. Tonight felt peaceful unlike the welcome back party at the beginning of the year. It was still a bit nosy here, so I moved down further. These types of parties were never really my setting, but they weren't bad either. 

"You shouldn't hang out in the dark, Amelia," his voice had me turning in his direction.

Smiling, I approached him. "I have werewolf strength now. I think I'm good." 

Lucian moved toward me. "You're still a novice and in training. You can't take on two vampires yet. Let alone a whole house of them." His face radiated happiness, but I could see the wariness in his eyes.

"I thought you would have came earlier. Dad said he invited you to dinner." I reached up to touch beside his eyes. "You shouldn't have come. You look exhausted."

He moved his cheek to rest in the palm of my hand. "I promised to see you. And it's been too long since we actually talked."

I took his hand and walked with him to a nearby bench. The bench had some privacy with a bush blocking it from prying eyes. Not that it mattered. 

We sat down, facing each other. "I decided to become the alpha of my mother's pack. It was in a worse condition when I returned to observe it. Apparently Alpha Zachary spent the funds that normally help keeps the pack running. We don't hunt excessively for obvious reasons, so a lot of us work among humans to add to funds and to keep up pretenses. He abandoned the pack and a power struggle broke out. I had to settle it and establish myself. Everything is under control right now, and Marigold Pack is under my authority." 

"It's a pretty name - your pack." 

"I used to call it Pack Golden. It was the pack's original name. Named after the flowers that grew there. They need structure and guidance." He took my hands in his. "I want you to join me there, but that wouldn't be fair. You have dreams and I want you to have those dreams. We haven't even discussed our relationship. And Emperor Conri's proposal isn't going to force anything between us."

He's still angry about that deal, I know, but I smiled. In this moment, I was so happy. Overjoyed even. 

"I'm still learning as a werewolf, but I, well, I don't really know…When you told me I was a werewolf, everything after felt natural. I think that was the moment I start wanting to be with you, but I honestly have no idea how to be a luna." I averted my gaze.

He soft chuckling had me returning my gaze to him. "You're saying you want to come with me just like I'm asking you too. You should follow your dreams."

"I plan too. My dream is to become a graphic designer, so you see I can take most of my classes online." I took his right hand between mine. "You see, I was waiting for you to ask me to come live with you. I care a lot for you. Maybe even love you, so I want to be close to you." 

He leaned to one side, digging into his pocket. "I never saw myself with anyone other than my mate — you. But–" He opened the small blue box that held a golden band inside. "I wanted us to talk in a better setting, but our circumstances are happening too fast. You might not be ready for marriage, but this promise ring is my future oath to you as your mate." 

I wrapped my arms around him. I was delighted at the idea of us being a couple and more. He is right. I don't think I'm ready for marriage yet either. I'm happy I can spend time with my mate while jumping into this world called life. Who knew this last year would be the one I found out I was a werewolf among the many other surprises. Maybe now, life won't throw so many curveballs at me after this year of so many.