Chapter Twenty-Six

The full moon was slowly making its way to the highest point in the sky. Tonight my mate will complete her first transformation. I did want to be there for it, but I was the trail of another werewolf. I came across it's scent as I was leaving my house. The scent hasn't been from anyone in Edward's pack. Instead of informing him, I took it upon myself to track it down. Besides, I was the closest to this side of the border. 

Coming to a stop in the middle of the forest, I searched around. The rogue was here somewhere. He seemed to have used the fox tactic of escaping, but it was no good with my sense of smell. Closing my eyes, I focused my nose. The unique scent was all around me. Clearly this wolf had time to run around marking his scent before I caught up. 

The second I looked in the direction where the scent was strongest he hurried away. Not wanting to lose him, I went after him. This straightforward chase was getting me nowhere. Using the tree trucks like bouncing balls, I propelled myself forward. Sure a dent would be left, but the extra push should do the trick. 

As I gained on him, he suddenly came to a stop. I, however, had already used another tree to help launch me, so I went sailing past him, grabbing onto the next tree behind him. A growl left me when I looked at him. 

He was a man on the short side. No taller than the average human female. Half his hair was dried green and the other part white. It was the most noticeable thing about him besides his face. He wore loose fitted clothes that consisted of a t-shirt and jeans with a pair of white sneakers. My guess is that he wasn't from here. He looked the part, but his face showed features that he was a foreigner. 

"Who are you?" I asked after lowering myself to the ground. My voice held the tone of an alpha. Normally I wouldn't use the tone as it wasn't necessary,  but this man was a stranger. One that clearly had a purpose. 

The stranger smiled. He then turned his head to the left. 

Were there more of them? Immediately, my senses went up. I didn't realize I could have walked right into a trap. 

"You alphas are always on guard. It'll do you some good to relax and enjoy the moment." 

His voice was foreign too. I didn't recognize where it was from though. "Tell me who you are and report to Alpha Edward." 

"Hmm," he tilted his head slightly to the side, not bothering to even look at me. "I think we will discuss my reason for being here at another time." 

When he did look at me, I saw a glint in his blue eyes. One that said he was up to no good. He turned, running. With a sigh, I took off after him. He's too arrogant. As I ran, her voice stopped me. It was distant, but I knew she was close. The thought that this stranger could be heading in her direction and meant to do her hurt crossed my mind. 

There was no way I could continue this chase without seeing for myself if Amelia was ok. Looking back in the direction he went, I sighed once more. He was gone, but I could always pick up his scent again. He wouldn't get away from me. Turning I quietly headed in the direction I heard Amelia. 

It wasn't long before I caught the glimpse of Amelia's curly, brown hair. I wasn't close enough so that they spotted me, but I could easily hear them. One look around told me that the stranger hadn't come this way. Good. 

"It doesn't hurt, right?" Amelia asked. Her back was to my direction, but I could sense the apprehension mixed into her scent.

Romulus turned to face her. He was standing in front of her. "Your first change will, but it will hurt more if you struggle."

"Why me?" She tilted her head to the skies. 

"Because you're my pup." An amused smile was on his face.