Chapter Forty

Romulus definitely was not handling this well. The glow in his eyes promised a slaughter of the worst kind. I couldn't blame him for feeling that way. Had I had to bring my child to someone who can have her killed easily, I would have been prepared to fight whoever tried to stop me. We all knew what the emperor was capable of. It was easier to go along with him than deal with the aftermath of his rage. 

"Emperor Conrí wouldn't want to get his throne room bloody if it came to an on spot killing. He's too much of a neat freak. He'll have to escort us out. I figure we have a few minutes to give a grand escape." My suggestion was a poor attempt at getting the agitated former alpha to agree, but then again, my comment wasn't aimed at him. 

A raging alpha wasn't normally a good thinker once their anger was ignited. 

"We have to try," Romulus's mate said, looking at us. Her eyes radiated strength and determination. Admirable traits to any alpha who had a strong willed mate. 

Romulus's gaze shot to his mate. "Maya, I'm not letting Amelia near that Ninny." 

He turned away from her, but she narrowed her eyes on him. "Well, going to see what the guy has to say and escaping if he really does wants my daughter dead sounds better than waiting here for him to come get us." 

"I said no!" The growling words were just as loud as his first shout. Only this time, the dominant alpha part of himself showed itself in its purest form. 

The order was a demand for submission. Obedience. Edward and I didn't submit, but I hear Amelia step closer to me. I could taste the fear around her. She has never experienced an alpha being an alpha before. No doubt she didn't know what to do, but her instincts would be to keep low and wait until her father calmed down. 

Even her mother jumped before taking a few steps back. Being human, she probably sensed that he was dangerous to be around right now. She too hasn't been around her alpha mate much, it seems. Romulus made the wrong decision by leaving them for so long. 

"Maya," Romulus said as he pushed the wolf within back. His eyes had lost their yellow glow, but his tone was strained. Almost pained by his conflicting emotions. "I didn't mean to yell at you like that."

I couldn't say I understood his many emotions, but if I had to guess. I'll say he was more frustrated with this situation than his mate not agreeing with him. He wanted a way to save his family without putting them in harm's way. 

Maya shook her head as if to shake off her fears. Her body relaxed some after seeing that her mate had changed back to the man she knew. Romulus reached and pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. As he hugged her to him, the air around him shifted from the extreme aura of an alpha to one that was still intense, but in control. 

"Come on, I need to sit down and you need a moment obviously." She removed herself from his embrace after a few minutes. Taking his hand, she guided him into the living room. 

We watched them. It alway amazed me how a woman could tame the most enraged werewolf. Remembering my own mate, I turned to her to see that she looked a bit concerned. I touched her arm, getting her attention. 

"I honestly don't know what to do." Amelia looked in the direction her parents went. "This is my first time seeing him so…"

"Protective. Borderline possessive." I smiled at the bewildered look on her face. "That's part of the nature of many male werewolves. The females too." 

I will probably have to explain that more later. I'm glad she had seen her father's small outburst. That would make explaining a bit easier, and he provided the perfect example.